Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI never had an issue with that situation
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13396877&mesg_id=13397672
13397672, I never had an issue with that situation
Posted by Anonymous, Thu Aug-06-20 07:09 AM
I fully understand Jill and Eve’s feelings but I wasn’t faulting The Roots for that.

That’s how record labels work. The Roots didn’t have any hits up to that point so in the landscape of 1999, it would be insane for the label not to push for Badu who was coming off of a big debut as opposed to an unknown Jill Scott.

I think The Roots actually did a great job of being Jill in tour and giving her that shine because when you went to shows you got introduced to the writer of the song and it was a nice touch to big her up. I think we all understood the game and the decision to put Badu.

As far as Eve, I did feel it was strange to not list her as a feature and to not have her in the video. But that’s something that was very likely the label’s decision as well. Why would anyone act like The Roots have a say? OutKast had 3 platinum albums and had to fight to keep the guitar solo on B.O.B. so why would The Roots have decision making power at that point?

And if the label sends a car for Eve for the video and it doesn’t show up, why is that The Roots fault. The Roots don’t have power at the label but at the same time I don’t think ?uest and Thought were responsible for arranging transportation for guest artists lol