Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectYes. RE: I would’ve expected Okayplayer to put it on the front page
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13396877&mesg_id=13397340
13397340, Yes. RE: I would’ve expected Okayplayer to put it on the front page
Posted by MeshaMeesh, Tue Aug-04-20 03:54 PM
>with tributes and articles from his fans, friends, etc.
>
>Maybe I’m expecting too much but I would think he would
>above the fold, first page press on this site of all places.

and

>stuff like that could be in the works...
>but ya, there certainly hasn't been a full-throated
>celebration of his life and contributions from the official
>channels of OKP whatsoever - fair criticism.
>(speaking of, i need a hype-ass RIP Malik B mixtape in my life
>stat)

this is where I've been at. Can't expect it in other places, but the front page is the main spot where I too thought there were going to be more songs, stories, pictures, etc. gathered from a lot of people, not even just The Roots. Anything that revisited Malik's artistry and humanity. To teach us more about him and celebrate what we love. One of those full-page posts that didn't budge from the front page for a while.

And of course, like a lot of y'all are saying, we can't expect people to mourn the same or expect them to immediately write a book about someone in multiple IG posts every single day. We have no right to demand such a thing. Yet, as fans in the social media age, we're used to seeing so much more pour out from the artist's main affiliates to honor someone we listened to for decades. I guess that's the problem - we demand a lot more, a lot faster, than what is being prepared in the background.

Before I knew about Jag's IG Lives, I commented in the Streams of Thought Vol. 3 thread that I assumed BT was pushing back the original July 31st release date till sometime after Malik's Janazah on Aug. 1st to better prepare for a (musical) tribute with the rest of The Roots. And Black Thought had an interview with Take It Personal Radio a few weeks ago that just premiered on youtube yesterday. In it, he speaks highly of Malik as a person, brother, and emcee. So I guess we'll see.

---

https://twitter.com/MeeshUniVerSoul

"She was on that tip about stoppin' the violence
About my people she was teachin' me..."