Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectUnfortunately, it's getting... more and more messy by the hour. Sigh
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13396877&mesg_id=13396955
13396955, Unfortunately, it's getting... more and more messy by the hour. Sigh
Posted by MeshaMeesh, Sat Aug-01-20 05:27 PM
She released a song about BT... and a new post about 15.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDXLalzlnFs/

I listened to the several IG vids around noon today after waking up to see someone tweeting about JW and "spilling tea". I instantly thought it was about the OKP situation and/or Talib. But it wasn't... (I went back to the first video she shared a few days ago mourning Malik and worked my way to current time) and I'm still digesting it all. It's a lot. It's heavy and sad and disappointing and intense. She's hurt. Really, deeply.

This is all just rocking my entire worldview... I essentially grew up looking up to the whole OKP camp, thinking everything was peachy, investing my heart into the art. Found this place when I was a 15-year-old girl and I'm 26 now. Granted, people gone people, and I couldn't possibly expect folks to go thru their lives without running into or causing some mess. It's human nature to mess up. But I wasn't expecting to hear the things I heard, not like this (or, not hearing it to this extent, rather).

Heartbreaking all around.

I think the thing that stuck out to me the most was how Malik's addiction was seemingly framed as his choice, rather than the illness of addiction, as well as her not receiving the comfort she needed with her son's death. That kinda issue is bound to ruin any and all kinds of relationships with people you thought were down for you. And hearing about the women of Black Lily... man.

I'm just also keeping the two Jill Scott interviews she did on QLS in my mind because I JUST listened to them yesterday and it was all sounding like "it's all good, yes we hashed it out about the credit, it was a label issue, not on the band itself" from Jill and 15, so I was def confused for a second. I guess that little factoid can be disputed or whatever.

Back to Malik (PBUH); I had a feeling that things weren't as straightforward as they seemed in regard to everyone's relationship with him, but I also thought that the lack of really deep posts would be made up in the form of an actual tribute that they're working on. I also come from the frame of thinking that some people aren't always up to posting immediately about losing someone. That does look disrespectful from the outside looking in if folks post other things INSTEAD - yeah. But at the end of the day, she did make a point about people/publications not really giving Malik his flowers he deserved(s) and acknowledging how tremendous of a role he played in the group. On the other hand, some folks like me on here may be more in tune with interviews/books/random things that did give Malik his props throughout the years. But if it's not on the surface, then yeah. It’s gonna be "why tf aren't y'all boosting him more?". I pray Malik's soul is at rest.

Apart of me also wonders what Jaguar really *needs* from the band. No, I'm not talking financially (she did point out her being shorted the money she should've been making). A situation like this absolutely seems more like the "yo, I need you to take accountability for what you've done to me/against me". Which I think could be the case, especially since she's talked about being gaslit and shunned and blackballed. But, there are folks I've seen who've aired out their grievances while also saying that they don't wanna hear from the other party. Whatever it is, I really hope this gets Jag on her path to healing, and I hope they do right by her, by any means. I'm so sorry to Jag.

I just wanna make it clear that I do believe that, even though I'm obviously unaware on a firsthand account of what happened back in the early days, the misogyny/misogynoir that the women of the boards face(d) was BAD. If you were subject to that, I am so very sorry.

---

https://twitter.com/MeeshUniVerSoul

"She was on that tip about stoppin' the violence
About my people she was teachin' me..."