Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectAnyone have a family member diagnosed with COVID19?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13396826
13396826, Anyone have a family member diagnosed with COVID19?
Posted by Case_One, Fri Jul-31-20 03:26 PM
I do. I'm angry about it too because they contracted the virus while working at a medical facility that was not practicing proper guidelines. #prayingadnbelieving

“It was the evidence from science and history that prompted me to abandon my atheism and become a Christian.” — Lee Strobel, The Case for Christ

The Case for Christ Lecture: https://youtu.be/67uj2qvQi_k

Good News: https://www.goodnewsnetwork
13396831, My cousin got it. He plays college ball at PITT
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Jul-31-20 03:57 PM
had to quarantine but he has since tested negative.

A woman I grew up with recently lost her husband to it. He was 40. It happened prettt fast too.
13396833, ive had a few
Posted by mista k5, Fri Jul-31-20 04:07 PM
my brother visited my sister and mom. he lives in SC they live in Houston. me and my other brother were set to visit too a few days later.

my nephew, 3 months old at the time, was the one that showed symptoms first and had a positive test the day before i was set to fly out there. we think he got it from his dad (complicated situation). my other brother and i cancelled our trips.

my sister, brother and his wife caught it. i think my adult niece did as well. moms and young niece didnt test positive but were sick. they all fully recovered thankfully.

i thought the trip was a bad idea but i was going to go.

i think some uncles/aunts/cousins that live near me have had it too. i dont really talk to them by my mom had told me.

have to take it seriously.
13396835, not that I know of...
Posted by Trinity444, Fri Jul-31-20 04:08 PM
everyone’s a suspect tho lol

13396838, my wife's stepdad tested positive very early in the pandemic
Posted by Rjcc, Fri Jul-31-20 04:13 PM
he was hospitalized for a little while, but has recovered.

treatment options have also much improved since then, there's a lot of reasons to be hopeful.

my cousin and her husband also tested positive more recently, but they also caught it after going on a trip and staying in an airbnb with a bunch of people and exposing my other cousin to it without telling her they'd tested positive so fuck them

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
13396841, my uncle (dad's brother) passed away in June...
Posted by Dstl1, Fri Jul-31-20 05:35 PM
he had back surgery and was in the hospital for a good amount of time...so long that he had to be transferred to a rehab facility to learn to walk again. He contracted Covid, there. He never came home.
13396843, Several
Posted by Cam, Fri Jul-31-20 05:50 PM
Two deaths, including an in-law relative.
13396844, my sons mom caught it working at a rehab facility
Posted by mikediggz, Fri Jul-31-20 05:51 PM
as soon as i saw her facility on the news i was like uh oh. sure enuff she ended up with it. was out of work for 3 weeks before she got a clean test and could go back. luckily her case wasnt super bad but she was in bad shape for a few weeks. on another note i indirectly know 2 ppl who passed away from it too. not a game out here
13396865, my uncle's mother in law died of it
Posted by Mynoriti, Fri Jul-31-20 08:36 PM
she took a fall and broke her leg, wound up dying in a nursing facility while trying to rehab.

my family is pretty small, and so far so good, but what i consider my second family (my best friend's fam) there have been a few. Thankfully no one got it too bad. Oddly enough the person who go the sickest was young and healthy. Nothing that required hospitalization, just really bad symptoms.

13396871, One of my mother's friends died from it recently.
Posted by Shaun Tha Don, Fri Jul-31-20 10:31 PM
13397168, My mom’s cousin caught it
Posted by chillinCHiEF, Tue Aug-04-20 12:13 AM
She was in the hospital for about a week.

Not fam, but my ex-girlfriend’s dad died from it back in late March/early April. He worked for MTA in NY.
13397169, Just last weekend.
Posted by JFrost1117, Tue Aug-04-20 12:48 AM
Could probably slot it into the file of doctors putting the bare minimum into care for Black people. Dude went to the ER on Friday with 90% of the common symptoms and they sent him home on some "Ride it out, big guy, you can fight this." He went back in on Saturday and someone paid more attention. He for sure has pneumonia and probably has COVID but the test results take a few days to process. They sent him home to quarantine but his wife has lupus and some other rare autoimmune disease so he is having to ride it out solo-dolo while she tries to find somewhere else to be for a few weeks.
13397180, Mom lost a few friends.. Entire family in my neighborhood had it..
Posted by My_SP1200_Broken_Again, Tue Aug-04-20 07:56 AM
13397198, 5 people in my 6 degrees of separation have died from Covid (2 inlaws)
Posted by auragin_boi, Tue Aug-04-20 08:47 AM
-My wife's aunt (father's sister) died from it. Was in her late 60's.

-My wife's cousin and her husband caught it, both were hospitalized. She made it out, her husband didn't. Both were in their 50's.

-Former co-worker passed from it. She left the company in late December 2019 for health related issue. Had worked here 20 yrs, Covid + her health issues were too much once she contracted it. Passed in late April. She was in her 50's

-A high school classmate of mine lost her mother to Covid in early May. Her mom was 73.

-Pastor at a church I hoop at on Saturdays passed from it. Was on the news and everything. He was 69.
13397203, idk a soul who has had it.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Tue Aug-04-20 08:57 AM
13397205, nobody in my immediate immediate family.
Posted by Reeq, Tue Aug-04-20 09:00 AM
several relatives of relatives tho.
13397209, myself and now my brother
Posted by eclipsedInI, Tue Aug-04-20 09:06 AM
13397210, Yes.
Posted by napturalmystic, Tue Aug-04-20 09:08 AM
Very early in the pandemic. Sometime in late march, my mid 60 something Aunt. She has COPD. She dealt with it at home for 2 weeks fever and all and she finally went to the hospital. She was there for 3 days on oxygen (no ventilator) and she recovered. She has some scarring of the lungs so far that we know of. This coupled with her COPD sent her back to the hospital for 1 day and she has been home since.

I have a big family some in Europe the rest here in the states. We have been blessed beyond measure to not experience any losses thus far.

13397215, A cousin in LA County died at the beginning of this all...
Posted by Creole, Tue Aug-04-20 09:44 AM
Another cousin and his wife who is a nurse just recently contracted it and battled through. They seem to be okay now. Both are back to work.

Not family but a good buddy of mine and his wife caught and battled it very early on back in late March. They’re both better and have recently opened a new restaurant in Houston.

Another good buddy of mine here in Baltimore is struggling with it right now.

And though I’m wrapping my mind around the possibility that we all may catch it at some point, I’m still very cautious and slightly afraid.
13397395, RE: Anyone have a family member diagnosed with COVID19?
Posted by jimaveli, Tue Aug-04-20 08:48 PM
>I do. I'm angry about it too because they contracted the
>virus while working at a medical facility that was not
>practicing proper guidelines. #prayingadnbelieving
>
>
>.
>.
>
>“It was the evidence from science and history that prompted
>me to abandon my atheism and become a Christian.” — Lee
>Strobel, The Case for Christ
>
>The Case for Christ Lecture: https://youtu.be/67uj2qvQi_k
>
>Good News: https://www.goodnewsnetwork

Prayers to everyone who has been touched by it so far.

I worry that the odds are falling out of our favor the longer this thing isn't under control and the longer we have folks making exceptions and excuses to be out and about. I'm in the church of if it isn't work, food, or medical, stay home.

I'm still at friend of a friend, or someone in my friend's family level of connection. One friend's mom got it and died. One my best friend's mama got it and lived.

In the same breath, I know folks who will not stay home but have been lucky so far. I'm laying hella low and trying to limit my risk. So far so good. Or at least if I've had it, there's been no symptoms for me or anyone in my immediate family.
13397404, My brother had it, and I likely lost two friends to it.
Posted by bigkarma, Tue Aug-04-20 10:09 PM
My brother contracted it, but didn't know he had it until he passed out from what they initially thought was pneumonia. He tested positive and was hospitalized because he was suffering severe dehydration, so much so his kidneys were compromised. It took a few days to get his kidney function stabilized, and then they sent him home to continue isolation. This was back in April. He's fine now.

I lost a friend back in February. He passed from a bad case of pneumonia they couldn't get under control. Now that we know more, it had to have been Covid-19. He lived in Long Island, which later became an epicenter. He was morbidly obese, borderline diabetic, and didn't respond to normal pneumonia treatments.

I have another friend who was found dead in his apartment. A few people said he had been complaining of a bad chest cold he just couldn't shake.
13397534, my uncle passed away due to covid back in May
Posted by jimi, Wed Aug-05-20 01:21 PM
happened pretty fast..
once he got on the ventilator, I was hopeful but in the back of my mind I knew his chances were slim.

13397591, 1) pops; 2) Wife's aunt
Posted by lonesome_d, Wed Aug-05-20 03:13 PM
1) pops is a stroke victim with ongoing brain damage. His body tends to be pretty healthy but he had repeated aspirational pneumonia over the winter so wasn't in great lung shape going into spring, and has had ongoing congestion.
We actually took him to the ER in late May for seizures, which unsurprisingly turned out related to the brain issues, but while there he tested positive; they stuck him in the Covid wing for a week.
Miraculously, he never got sick, so they sent him home after a week; we all covered up.
Also crazy is that we do not have a vector: he hadn't left the house *at all* since early March; my mom had left fewer than a handful of times; I had been in on a daily basis but practicing distancing; and the team of 4 caregivers were all tested w/negative results repeatedly throughout the spring, as were the visiting home health nurses & therapists. So either he was a false positive (which most pros say is possible but unlikely) or we had an asymptomatic carrier with a false negative among us (also seems unlikely) .

2) Wife's Aunt Dolores was 85, suffering from dementia, and in a care facility in NJ. Tough combination of factors. She was healthy through most of April but reportedly got sick and died at the end of the month, in the space of a few days so that we didn't even hear about it until after her death. Very sad.
13397592, grandma
Posted by stankpalmer, Wed Aug-05-20 03:15 PM