Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subject“Black is King” Official Post
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13396771
13396771, “Black is King” Official Post
Posted by lightworks, Fri Jul-31-20 09:26 AM
What did y’all think?
13396779, It's 10:46am EST. Joint JUST came out....HOW have you had time to watch ?? lol
Posted by FLUIDJ, Fri Jul-31-20 09:47 AM
granted....we got two kids and work full time.....lol...
but yeah....

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"
13396780, I haven't watched it yet, but when I do I will come back to this post.
Posted by lightworks, Fri Jul-31-20 09:48 AM
Simple LOL.
13396787, nas lost
Posted by thegodcam, Fri Jul-31-20 10:35 AM
13396830, where can I see it?
Posted by Trinity444, Fri Jul-31-20 03:57 PM
it must not be everywhere yet...
13396832, Exclusively on Disney plus.
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Jul-31-20 03:58 PM
13396834, good lookin...
Posted by Trinity444, Fri Jul-31-20 04:07 PM
you watch it?
13396846, Dang, y’all ain’t go no feedback yet???
Posted by FLUIDJ, Fri Jul-31-20 06:03 PM

13396847, got a kid and a job but halfway through it, dope visuals
Posted by thegodcam, Fri Jul-31-20 06:09 PM
It’s a visual album for her version of the Lion King soundtrack.... whole album was a hit in my household already.... visuals are the cherry on top.... gonna wait til the kid is asleep and finish it tonight
13396850, Yeah my kids love the album, but I’m not sure if this video
Posted by FLUIDJ, Fri Jul-31-20 06:11 PM
Is appropriate for their age. (3 & 7)
Hopefully we can watch tonight to vet it....

13396855, Not Child Friendly At ALL, IMO
Posted by Mori, Fri Jul-31-20 06:23 PM
My kid would not like any of this. My child was scared of Black Panther. Some scenes and themes are too dark, literally too many night scenes, the songs lyrics are too fast and there are not many images of children. Mainly the one little boy.
13396868, I disagree.... there’s zero violence
Posted by thegodcam, Fri Jul-31-20 09:18 PM
And as far as raunchy content, I thought the super bowl halftime which I watched with my 5 year-old daughter was way raunchier than anything I saw in the film

I even let her watch the Brown-Skinned Girl part before she went to bed since I know how much she liked the song.... and she begged me to watch it a second time cuz she enjoyed it so much
13396893, Black Panther had violence... this is extremely child friendly
Posted by legsdiamond, Sat Aug-01-20 07:22 AM
and there are kids all throughout the video.

13396897, Black Panther was not a children's movie
Posted by Mori, Sat Aug-01-20 07:35 AM
Kids were welcomed along the journey, but it was a movie with complex themes for black adults.

I don't find Black Panther or Black is King to be something I would immediately turn on and sit my kid in front of tv, walk away and think I shouldn't fast forward through some scenes.

Most content made for Black children contains adult themes. We are so used to it, and desperate for black content that we tolerate it.

Beyonce's Black is King was entertaining, beautiful and fun, but I would not allow my child to watch this unsupervised.
13396900, Despite it being a comic movie, I agree.
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Sat Aug-01-20 08:19 AM
>Kids were welcomed along the journey, but it was a movie with
>complex themes for black adults.

I think this is true of most children's shows. I also don't at all like the message Black Panther was sending to Black children, especially given the nuances and historical perspective necessary to understand it... or the social awareness to separate fact from fiction. Its entanglement with such a sensitive Black reality was too conducive to brainwashing imo, but that's another topic. Anyway, as for the complex themes, I think that's been true of many childrens shows for 40+ years. I've looked back at children's shows I watched as a child and noticed there was more going on than I realized. Not necessarily a bad thing imo.

I haven't seen Black Is King yet, so I'll come back after I do.

>Most content made for Black children contains adult themes. We
>are so used to it, and desperate for black content that we
>tolerate it.

This is an interesting point. I'd really like to hear more about your observations on this... examples, etc. I would love to look into this myself.

13396908, This part...yes, wholeheartedly agree.....
Posted by FLUIDJ, Sat Aug-01-20 09:24 AM
"Most content made for Black children contains adult themes. We are so used to it, and desperate for black content that we tolerate it. "

Main reason I posted the question. Your assessment is appreciated... . We didn't get a chance to watch it last night, but I kinda fast forwarded through it on mute while cooking dinner....from what I saw....yeah, probably gonna be something I hold off on for a bit.. Although I will try to section out the Brown Skin Girls and Find Your Way Back parts...they (and we) have been banging those songs on the regular since The Gift was released...I think I even made a post about it lol....

13396913, I feel you. Definitely not something to turn on and walk away
Posted by legsdiamond, Sat Aug-01-20 09:45 AM
and let your kids digest on their own.

My kids are too young so it’s just “why is she dancing, there is a monkey daddy, ooh, a snake”

but if I had an 8 year old I could see them watching it and seeing some powerful Black imagery.

13396911, what age child though?? I dunno fam....from what I saw on mute & F.F.....
Posted by FLUIDJ, Sat Aug-01-20 09:28 AM
my 7 & 3 year olds might have some nightmares off some of the imagery....I saw snakes, a dude coughing up gold or something, I think I saw woman with horns, a dude that appeared to be drowning....I also skimmed through at least 3 min. of a woman in a skin tight suit gyrating and gettin' low....which 3 min on fast forward was probably more like 10 min in real time lol....

13396914, Not my kids age.. lol
Posted by legsdiamond, Sat Aug-01-20 09:47 AM
I’m thinking 8 and up.

I didn’t see the whole think and didn’t see enough to think it was scary. My kids love Moana and Princess and the Frog and I think those movies have scarier images than what I saw in this video.

Real talk tho... I’m not really interested in my kids seeing Beyoncé dancing.
13397072, no kids, don't have Disney+
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Aug-03-20 12:40 PM
13396852, A tribute to Black Men
Posted by Mori, Fri Jul-31-20 06:20 PM
I enjoyed it. I liked the visuals, though they moved too quickly. I also enjoyed and the "See yourself as a King" themes. I found the afrobeat a little monotonous. The Lion King references were a little random, didn't seem like it added to the story.

It was refreshing to see Jay Z, Burna Boy, Yemi Alade and the other West African Artists.

Something about the silver, blue and metallic coloring felt overdone. I felt relieved to see other colors.

I loved the beach scenes against the mountain backdrop. I liked the rootsy African history references, such as the Dogon, the little boy with the Kalimba, and so on.

Beyonce follows a formula and by now you an guess that her songs will be about the following: 1) Her dad 2) Her husband 3) Her kids 4) Self empowerment 5) sexual act.

Overall, I liked it, wasn't as crisp as Lemonade and I would prefer more R&B and hip hop.
13396881, the queen.
Posted by Reeq, Sat Aug-01-20 12:19 AM
everything was on point as usual.

just wish something like this had dropped closer to the project so the songs would be newer to me.
13396924, i was yesterday years old...
Posted by PROMO, Sat Aug-01-20 12:06 PM
when i discovered that Beyonce's Lion King album wasn't just her singing songs from the Lion King.

there's some joints on there.

the visuals on Black Is King were fire. some were like, SUPER fire.

shout out to her team (the credits for Black Is King were EXTENSIVE and I was thinking as I was watching how many people must have worked on that).
13396927, I tried to tell y’all!!!
Posted by FLUIDJ, Sat Aug-01-20 12:53 PM
https://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13342790&mesg_id=13342790&listing_type=search

13396933, yeah, i slept. i'm not a beyonce hater, but i definitely don't check for....
Posted by PROMO, Sat Aug-01-20 01:15 PM
her like most of humanity.

usually anything that's constantly hyped and praised? i'm out on those things.

so, when i saw the album title, and knowing she was involved with the movie in various ways, i just assumed "oh, beyonce is singing lion king songs - makes sense but i don't care"

i didn't realize there was original music on there, which i always check for i don't care who the artist is. i'm gonna give anyone a chance. that's just how i roll.

so as I'm watching Black Is King i'm like "damn, some of these song's are fire" and i grab my tablet and look up what Black Is King is, exactly. that's when i realize its visuals for those songs that i didn't even know existed until i was watching.

oh well. late is better than never, i guess.
13396935, haha, same here. This kinda reminds me of the Idlewild album....
Posted by FLUIDJ, Sat Aug-01-20 01:36 PM
There were some NICE original songs on that joint...but I really feel like that album was slept on because folks assumed it was just a collection of stuff from older albums and nothing else.

But yeah, I doubt I'll check for her OLD catalog off the strength of this album.....but I'll def. pay a little more attention to future releases.
13397145, I was confused too, like "how does my daughter know all the words?...
Posted by GOMEZ, Mon Aug-03-20 05:29 PM
didn't this shit just come out? Wait, Beyonce's Lion King soundtrack thing wasn't just her signing 'Hakuna Matata'?"

I was mad late to the whole party.

I did find it interesting how hard she's leaning into the West African religion, and seeing Beyhive like 'OMG I'm Oshun, too!'. I think West African religion is beautiful and wonderful, but it's not something I think should be taken lightly. It's a deep and complex world. She's been leaning into it for a while - check the Formation video among other things, but it's all the way out there now.

13396948, The scale was impressive
Posted by CIPHA, Sat Aug-01-20 03:01 PM
The design, costuming, sets and locations, effects.

I was enthralled.
13396977, Gorgeous but moved too fast. Scenes too short.
Posted by lightworks, Sun Aug-02-20 10:25 AM
Lemonade has the gift of what felt like extended scenes, this was just a mashup of a bunch of different scenes and looks and as soon as I would appreciate one scene it would warp speed of the next.
13396980, it was beautiful!
Posted by SuiteLady, Sun Aug-02-20 01:26 PM
13397050, Has Beyonce always been curvy?
Posted by double negative, Mon Aug-03-20 11:00 AM
I don't pay attention to Bey so my mental image of her has kinda always been this: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ff/6e/fb/ff6efbc60a8eb89c6b30411a524c6a18.jpg

so I was surprised when I saw this. I even asked my wife if she had work done. It was actually distracting because it conflicted with how I always imagined her.

eh.

Anway, really dope art. I kept saying that I was surprised Disney broke off that money for such a pro-black piece of work.
13397056, had a few kids, and has been vocal and proud about her body
Posted by Tiger Woods, Mon Aug-03-20 11:26 AM

said she realized after Coachella she didn't want to work out as hard and diet as obsessively as she had for that. She openly stated that she'd rather let nature take its course, she'll still eat clean (mostly vegan) and train but not be homicidal about it and instead pour that energy into her kids. Fantastic message to put out there for someone as important as she is.
13397068, I heard that but I kept it moving. Guess I'm out of the loop.
Posted by double negative, Mon Aug-03-20 12:21 PM
13397146, sounds healthy
Posted by makaveli, Mon Aug-03-20 05:45 PM
13397058, Umm.. yes.
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon Aug-03-20 11:37 AM
13397067, she's always had the frame/shape for it
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Mon Aug-03-20 12:16 PM
13397069, well thats just crazy.
Posted by double negative, Mon Aug-03-20 12:21 PM
shes build like a damn kardashian
13397079, please tell me that was a joke....lol...
Posted by FLUIDJ, Mon Aug-03-20 01:05 PM
13397116, Yeah.. that was a weird ass take.
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon Aug-03-20 02:54 PM
Beyoncé always had the hips and curves..

Not sure where he has been.

She’s always had body
https://media1.popsugar-assets.com/files/thumbor/6LP6JBumibxOebnQtDRUohEUOdQ/fit-in/1024x1024/filters:format_auto-!!-:strip_icc-!!-/2014/08/25/739/n/1922729/24d4fb789ce29737_beyonce.jpg

Kinda disrespectful to suggest she looks like a Kardashian. They been trying to buy that Beyoncé body all along.

13397142, my first time noticing the jams, the jams stole the show
Posted by Ray_Snill, Mon Aug-03-20 05:02 PM

<=========================================
https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/PYzh4v9cSf4FDnq3yMQyqNqh79o=/800x0/filters:no_upscale%28%29/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/4079674/jlio.0.gif
13397055, beautiful and incoherent all at once
Posted by Tiger Woods, Mon Aug-03-20 11:24 AM
and musically, probably the least provocative and inspiring stuff she's put out in a very long time. Very fun to look at but not much else.

EDIT: I cannot imagine the effort that it took to coordinate this logistically, and how hardcore the NDA effort must've been to prevent news or images of this from coming out
13397155, Cashing In On Culture As Usual
Posted by Dj Joey Joe, Mon Aug-03-20 08:15 PM
...instead of being proactive, it's always somebody who gets a lil' info and then runs with it instead of getting more knowledge and the root of it...oh well .

This day & age, the young gen got a short attn. span anyways.

13397195, it was so black ass...
Posted by Trinity444, Tue Aug-04-20 08:43 AM
powerful message, imagery.

niggas kill me what that capitalism shit...

13397196, Haha.. what? People are mad because they are profiting
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Aug-04-20 08:46 AM
off their art?

13397204, that noname girl...
Posted by Trinity444, Tue Aug-04-20 08:57 AM
hell, dj Joey above, lol

doesn’t matter when someone came into the knowledge, we should celebrate that they finally did.
13397213, RE: that noname girl...
Posted by jimaveli, Tue Aug-04-20 09:29 AM
>hell, dj Joey above, lol
>
>doesn’t matter when someone came into the knowledge, we
>should celebrate that they finally did.

I jammed noname’s last album. I’m uninterested in her social media at this point. She could’ve done really well to be constructive and useful after the Cole stuff. Now, she’s gonna risk getting tagged as one of those folks who just pops out of a cave to bash stuff...kinda like the worst part of the backpacker era. It’s fine to ask questions but I wish she could come up for other reasons..like them good raps or again, something constructive and useful.
13397220, she need to log off and dive into the music
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Tue Aug-04-20 10:04 AM
or dive into the streets and really get on that social work.

all these twitter popoffs are bad for her image and killing the bit of goodwill she built up from the cole thing.
13397255, or just confirming she is mad young
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Aug-04-20 11:59 AM
and new to this Twitter activist thing.

One thing that stood out in the video I watched is she isn’t really doing the work she speaks about when asked to follow up her hot takes.

13397217, I could see if they didn’t include Africans in the videos and music
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Aug-04-20 09:49 AM
But this is the time we live in.

Anything that gets attention will surely receive criticism because it’s an easy way to go viral.

13406538, Just watched this, amazing visuals
Posted by Adwhizz, Sat Oct-03-20 04:58 PM
The whole thing was epic.