Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectPerhaps. I think it's that he doesn't provide wish fulfillment
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13396101&mesg_id=13396828
13396828, Perhaps. I think it's that he doesn't provide wish fulfillment
Posted by Cold Truth, Fri Jul-31-20 03:55 PM
"Wish fulfillment" may not be the right word, and I can really only speak for myself.

But he's not really a guy that most people can live vicariously through, like a Jay or BIG.

If you're rapping along to Pac... you can, for the span of 4 minutes, take that energy as your own. You feel damn near like a superhero.

Nas is a narrator and you see the hood through his eyes, and the outside world from that project window perspective.

Wu put on a complete cinematic experience.

If you're about to get into a fight, or just want to burn off some serious aggression...you can put on Real Muthaphuckkin G's.

If you're about to lose your shit over the political landscape? Put on Amerikkka's Most or Fear of A Black Planet.

Throw on Doggystle at any party, and it's a fuckin wrap.

If you're from the hood, but not really out there bangin' like that? You can listen to Regulate.... G Funk Era and feel at home.

Shit... DMX gives you a full human experience in his first two albums.

When I look at Busta's catalog, I don't really get that deeply immersive vibe, where I feel like I can put on his music like a suit of armor.

And when you get to other cats, like The Roots, Tribe, De La, Mos, Com, Kweli? You still wind up in a different state, like you're listening to a more artistically "pure" form of hip hop, something closer to it's original, or, intended state. I'm simplifying here, because this is getting long, lol.

Some of this is me projecting my own experiences, but much of it is observation of others, and some deduction.

And while I don't think this is a scientifically sound premise, I think this is something close. I think Busta brings raw energy and creativity, and does so both visually and musically.

He's the guy who makes art simply because he's an artist. And while he's got the whole end of the world theme, I don't think that resonates on a level that's personally relatable, as with other artists.