Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectGlad this is in the same thread as the Bone Thugz discussion above.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13396101&mesg_id=13396703
13396703, Glad this is in the same thread as the Bone Thugz discussion above.
Posted by Brew, Thu Jul-30-20 04:08 PM
Because I think that both artists "get lost in the shuffle" as you say because a lot of people, wrongly, pass them off as just like contrived, gimmicky artists ... artists with more personality and flair than actual skill.

This is very unscientific but that's what I think happened and happens with artists like Bone Thugz and Busta. I think DMX maybe falls into this category as well. I myself am guilty of kind of being dismissive of DMX, only to rediscover just last week how talented the guy was and is lyrically. I wouldn't personally put him on the level of Bone and Busta in terms of overall skill, album quality, or impact, but he certainly has way more lyrical skill than I would've given him credit for for like a decade prior to last week's Verzuz battle. And I'm just using him as another example of an artist whose personality trumped his skill in the collective mainstream point of view as time has gone on.