Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectthanks!
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13395865&mesg_id=13396800
13396800, thanks!
Posted by Walleye, Fri Jul-31-20 12:28 PM
>My grandma just passed as well. She was my favorite person on
>earth. Also not covid, but her best friend died of covid while
>my grandma was in the hospital. I was trying to figure out a
>way to break it to her, but never had to.

That's really tough. I'm 41 this year and only now realizing that I don't have any real idea how to emotionally handle people who had been familial authority figures for so long. Just kind of learning on the fly, but I'm also really grateful I haven't had to deal with any difficult stuff like that while I'm learning.

>mine was 92 and in good health most of her life which i
>thought was pretty great. 104 is beyond amazing, man. Cheers
>to her.

It's such a gift. Having those post-90 years be good years is really cool.

Mine was ruled not healthy enough to travel by my mom way back when I got married in 2004, but she lived another sixteen years and even though she was tiny and frail - she was sharp as a tack until the last few months of her life. She was the only person in my family to read my dissertation. The only one I could talk to about writers we love. Honestly, the only one of all of the walleye family that wasn't absolutely brain poisoned by DC.

Ironically, this side topic of "amazing grandmothers" has, in my case, dovetailed with the mask issue because my mom is planning various funeral and remembrance activities and she and my brother are ... how to put this diplomatically ... not taking this pandemic quite as seriously as I'd like.