Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subject90% feels pretty good for a neighborhood
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13395865&mesg_id=13395899
13395899, 90% feels pretty good for a neighborhood
Posted by Walleye, Mon Jul-27-20 08:12 PM
>i found that if you rest your glasses slightly over the mask
>there's no fog and if its on the skin of your nose they fog
>up.

I actually tried it when I read this, and you're right. I mean, obviously you're right because you're saying "I found that..." and describing your own experience. But it's also mine now. Funny thing is, I actually do remember making a change that would result in my glasses resting on the mask instead of my skin, but I didn't make it for fog reasons. Rather, I have like 1% too much face for the size mask I have. I think sizing up would be too big, and a few weeks ago I decided it was better to have it hook (weird verb, but whatever) under my chin at a slightly different, higher point so if the mask migrated down at all it wouldn't slide down over my nose.

>Yeah, same. at first i figured no point on the street, but
>aside from it being mandated now, i agree that the gesture is
>important. my neighborhood right now is about 90% masks on
>people walking down the street, it's increased quite a bit,
>and the more everyone does it, the more everyone does it.

Absolutely on that last sentiment. Seems like you've got pretty good coverage wherever you are. DC has been pretty "eh" on the whole issue. My neighborhood is probably like 60-70%, though the city's got a brand new mask mandate and it was ticking upwards even before that so hopefully we'll get better.

On the other hand, I don't know if other cities are releasing neighborhood-by-neighborhood data, but we are and the class/racial component is really hard to miss. It also means that I'm not really sure that people in my very white, mostly wealthy neighborhood whose days are now 100% occupied in ZOOM calls and walking their dogs are going to get the message. I'm not a huge fan of scolding as a public health maneuver (not averse to scolding in general- just don't think it has a strong track record of effectiveness) but that may be what it takes to get people who are socially isolated from this.

But I'm grateful for the mask order.

>sometimes I wear it in the car depending if i'm headed to the
>store or on errands. I figure the less times I touch it to
>take it off and on the better. I'm not terribly worried about
>getting it but i'm terrified of passing it to immune
>compromised people i care about.

Oh, that's a better reason for wearing it in the car than any of my guesses. And same on the immuno-compromised people, though one of my closest friends (T1 diabetes) just moved out of state and my grandmother just died.* So now I'm kind of running out of personalized reasons, but good habits can be for everybody I suppose.

*Not of COVID. She was 104 and went peacefully in her sleep after a long and incredible life. It's sad personally, but incredibly far from a tragedy. I wish everybody were so lucky.