Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectYeah, I have different ones for different occasions
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13395865&mesg_id=13395890
13395890, Yeah, I have different ones for different occasions
Posted by Walleye, Mon Jul-27-20 07:15 PM
My dad works on trade policy and got some masks from "The Vietnamese" which typically means somebody he knows from the embassy. I bring up their provenance because I don't actually know if they're particularly good or not, but I know that Vietnam has apparently done a really good job with COVID so I refuse to do any further research and am just assuming that a functional country that actually took this stuff seriously wouldn't just be handing out shitty masks as gifts.

I wear those any time I may have to interact with people. I'm moving right now, so they got a lot more use as we looked at apartments.

Started off with a bandanna, which was really fun because I *also* bought some blue and white striped overalls and so basically spent May dressed as a train conductor at Disney World.

I also have a neck gaiter that I wear when I have to run some errands where I run a low risk of encountering anybody. I wear that when I go for a run once and awhile, but I have a tough time running with it pulled up over my nose/mouth so lately the preferred move has just been to run at times/places where there's very little chance I'll be within ten feet of somebody.

>do you have trouble with foggy glasses?

Weirdly, not anymore - but I can't think of anything I started doing differently to make it go away. Must have been a subconscious fix?

>do you wear a mask when you're walking on the street? in your
>car, etc..

Yes on the street. Feel like I've got to have something if I'm in anybody's view. I wouldn't want to overstate this and mute the actual important public health benefit, but the gesture seems actually important. I was perfectly fine not giving any thought to whether casual strangers I pass on the street cared whether I lived or died, but now we've got a pretty available shibboleth.

No on the car. My wife is working from home indefinitely (her job literally said "until there is no more pandemic") and we don't have kids and nobody else really likes me so I'm the only person in the car for 99% of its trips and my wife is with me for the other one.

I see more people than I'd expect driving in cars with masks on. Probably got a bit narrow-sighted from the way I use my own car.