Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectWhat's your mask game like?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13395865
13395865, What's your mask game like?
Posted by Mynoriti, Mon Jul-27-20 04:20 PM
do you have different kinds of masks for different things?

cloth, surgical/disposable, face shield?

do you have trouble with foggy glasses?

do you wear a mask when you're walking on the street? in your car, etc..

if they're cloth, how often are you washing them/rotating?

are you an anti-masker?

i mainly rock the cloth ones. I have maybe 6 of them. I mostly used bandanas when this first started but they're apparently not very effective... sometimes i still use them if i know i'm just walking on the street though.

I have a couple N95s. a couple unused and one bagged sealed up with some time left on it, i've mainly only used it for my mom when we had to visit an urgent care and an ICU
13395866, mostly rocking disposable ones from work
Posted by mista k5, Mon Jul-27-20 04:26 PM
we get 4 a day. i use two through out the day to be safe. they also give us 50 masks every month or so.

i do have a few cloth ones at home that i was using before work started giving us masks. I think I have two KN95 masks as well.

i got a pack of scarfs i had bought when i thought i was going to have to make my own lol

when im going to work i dont put on a mask until i get to work. not sure if thats the recommended thing to do or not. i put it on before i get out of my car. same for if im going to a store. kinda a mix after the store or work. sometimes i leave it on until i get home or take it off once i get in the car.
13395867, I have 3 types
Posted by handle, Mon Jul-27-20 04:26 PM
1)KN-95 for when I have to be indoors and share air. https://www.snowjoe.com/products/kn95-protective-face-mask-ce-certified-gb2626-standard-5-pack

2)Blue surgical mask when I have to interact at drive through -mainly for paying park entrance fees - but a few times it was food. Very much like these: https://www.amazon.com/Wecolor-Disposable-Masks-Elastic-Breathable/dp/B0875S5TWF/

3)Neck gaiter for outdoor activities. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086VLK3HV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
13395878, The guy in the neck gaiter gets real confident in camouflage gray. nm
Posted by dagu, Mon Jul-27-20 05:34 PM
13395903, Trust - I buy COLORFUL ONES
Posted by handle, Mon Jul-27-20 08:34 PM
No camo.

No skulls.

No flags.

Brightly colored geometrical shapes - think of scrubs at a Children's Hospital.
13395880, sis n law keeping a brother nice with all my teams
Posted by kingjerm78, Mon Jul-27-20 05:49 PM
13395881, i forgot my brother gave me a cowboys one
Posted by mista k5, Mon Jul-27-20 05:51 PM
definitely didnt expect 2020 would have me happy about a cowboys face mask lol
13395891, yea ive got Raiders and Lakers ones
Posted by Mynoriti, Mon Jul-27-20 07:16 PM
Keep meaning to cop a Dodger logo one
13395888, An assortment of custom cloth masks and neck gaiters
Posted by bigkarma, Mon Jul-27-20 06:51 PM
When everything jumped off, I had some creative friends and family that were making masks. So I supported by copping a few. I have some fraternity ones, some anime, and some African patterns.

For you DC comics heads, my son has a half black, half orange Deadshot mask.

I'm awful with keeping up with them, so I ordered some neck gaiters from Amazon. That was the move.
13395890, Yeah, I have different ones for different occasions
Posted by Walleye, Mon Jul-27-20 07:15 PM
My dad works on trade policy and got some masks from "The Vietnamese" which typically means somebody he knows from the embassy. I bring up their provenance because I don't actually know if they're particularly good or not, but I know that Vietnam has apparently done a really good job with COVID so I refuse to do any further research and am just assuming that a functional country that actually took this stuff seriously wouldn't just be handing out shitty masks as gifts.

I wear those any time I may have to interact with people. I'm moving right now, so they got a lot more use as we looked at apartments.

Started off with a bandanna, which was really fun because I *also* bought some blue and white striped overalls and so basically spent May dressed as a train conductor at Disney World.

I also have a neck gaiter that I wear when I have to run some errands where I run a low risk of encountering anybody. I wear that when I go for a run once and awhile, but I have a tough time running with it pulled up over my nose/mouth so lately the preferred move has just been to run at times/places where there's very little chance I'll be within ten feet of somebody.

>do you have trouble with foggy glasses?

Weirdly, not anymore - but I can't think of anything I started doing differently to make it go away. Must have been a subconscious fix?

>do you wear a mask when you're walking on the street? in your
>car, etc..

Yes on the street. Feel like I've got to have something if I'm in anybody's view. I wouldn't want to overstate this and mute the actual important public health benefit, but the gesture seems actually important. I was perfectly fine not giving any thought to whether casual strangers I pass on the street cared whether I lived or died, but now we've got a pretty available shibboleth.

No on the car. My wife is working from home indefinitely (her job literally said "until there is no more pandemic") and we don't have kids and nobody else really likes me so I'm the only person in the car for 99% of its trips and my wife is with me for the other one.

I see more people than I'd expect driving in cars with masks on. Probably got a bit narrow-sighted from the way I use my own car.

13395893, RE: eyeglass fog / car
Posted by Mynoriti, Mon Jul-27-20 07:33 PM
>Started off with a bandanna, which was really fun because I
>*also* bought some blue and white striped overalls and so
>basically spent May dressed as a train conductor at Disney
>World.

LOL

>>do you have trouble with foggy glasses?
>
>Weirdly, not anymore - but I can't think of anything I started
>doing differently to make it go away. Must have been a
>subconscious fix?

i found that if you rest your glasses slightly over the mask there's no fog and if its on the skin of your nose they fog up.

>>do you wear a mask when you're walking on the street? in
>your
>>car, etc..
>
>Yes on the street. Feel like I've got to have something if I'm
>in anybody's view. I wouldn't want to overstate this and mute
>the actual important public health benefit, but the gesture
>seems actually important. I was perfectly fine not giving any
>thought to whether casual strangers I pass on the street cared
>whether I lived or died, but now we've got a pretty available
>shibboleth.

Yeah, same. at first i figured no point on the street, but aside from it being mandated now, i agree that the gesture is important. my neighborhood right now is about 90% masks on people walking down the street, it's increased quite a bit, and the more everyone does it, the more everyone does it.

>No on the car. My wife is working from home indefinitely (her
>job literally said "until there is no more pandemic") and we
>don't have kids and nobody else really likes me so I'm the
>only person in the car for 99% of its trips and my wife is
>with me for the other one.
>
>I see more people than I'd expect driving in cars with masks
>on. Probably got a bit narrow-sighted from the way I use my
>own car.
>

sometimes I wear it in the car depending if i'm headed to the store or on errands. I figure the less times I touch it to take it off and on the better. I'm not terribly worried about getting it but i'm terrified of passing it to immune compromised people i care about.
13395899, 90% feels pretty good for a neighborhood
Posted by Walleye, Mon Jul-27-20 08:12 PM
>i found that if you rest your glasses slightly over the mask
>there's no fog and if its on the skin of your nose they fog
>up.

I actually tried it when I read this, and you're right. I mean, obviously you're right because you're saying "I found that..." and describing your own experience. But it's also mine now. Funny thing is, I actually do remember making a change that would result in my glasses resting on the mask instead of my skin, but I didn't make it for fog reasons. Rather, I have like 1% too much face for the size mask I have. I think sizing up would be too big, and a few weeks ago I decided it was better to have it hook (weird verb, but whatever) under my chin at a slightly different, higher point so if the mask migrated down at all it wouldn't slide down over my nose.

>Yeah, same. at first i figured no point on the street, but
>aside from it being mandated now, i agree that the gesture is
>important. my neighborhood right now is about 90% masks on
>people walking down the street, it's increased quite a bit,
>and the more everyone does it, the more everyone does it.

Absolutely on that last sentiment. Seems like you've got pretty good coverage wherever you are. DC has been pretty "eh" on the whole issue. My neighborhood is probably like 60-70%, though the city's got a brand new mask mandate and it was ticking upwards even before that so hopefully we'll get better.

On the other hand, I don't know if other cities are releasing neighborhood-by-neighborhood data, but we are and the class/racial component is really hard to miss. It also means that I'm not really sure that people in my very white, mostly wealthy neighborhood whose days are now 100% occupied in ZOOM calls and walking their dogs are going to get the message. I'm not a huge fan of scolding as a public health maneuver (not averse to scolding in general- just don't think it has a strong track record of effectiveness) but that may be what it takes to get people who are socially isolated from this.

But I'm grateful for the mask order.

>sometimes I wear it in the car depending if i'm headed to the
>store or on errands. I figure the less times I touch it to
>take it off and on the better. I'm not terribly worried about
>getting it but i'm terrified of passing it to immune
>compromised people i care about.

Oh, that's a better reason for wearing it in the car than any of my guesses. And same on the immuno-compromised people, though one of my closest friends (T1 diabetes) just moved out of state and my grandmother just died.* So now I'm kind of running out of personalized reasons, but good habits can be for everybody I suppose.

*Not of COVID. She was 104 and went peacefully in her sleep after a long and incredible life. It's sad personally, but incredibly far from a tragedy. I wish everybody were so lucky.
13395904, condolences, man.
Posted by Mynoriti, Mon Jul-27-20 08:55 PM
>of my guesses. And same on the immuno-compromised people,
>though one of my closest friends (T1 diabetes) just moved out
>of state and my grandmother just died.* So now I'm kind of
>running out of personalized reasons, but good habits can be
>for everybody I suppose.
>
>*Not of COVID. She was 104 and went peacefully in her sleep
>after a long and incredible life. It's sad personally, but
>incredibly far from a tragedy. I wish everybody were so lucky.

My grandma just passed as well. She was my favorite person on earth. Also not covid, but her best friend died of covid while my grandma was in the hospital. I was trying to figure out a way to break it to her, but never had to.

mine was 92 and in good health most of her life which i thought was pretty great. 104 is beyond amazing, man. Cheers to her.
13396800, thanks!
Posted by Walleye, Fri Jul-31-20 12:28 PM
>My grandma just passed as well. She was my favorite person on
>earth. Also not covid, but her best friend died of covid while
>my grandma was in the hospital. I was trying to figure out a
>way to break it to her, but never had to.

That's really tough. I'm 41 this year and only now realizing that I don't have any real idea how to emotionally handle people who had been familial authority figures for so long. Just kind of learning on the fly, but I'm also really grateful I haven't had to deal with any difficult stuff like that while I'm learning.

>mine was 92 and in good health most of her life which i
>thought was pretty great. 104 is beyond amazing, man. Cheers
>to her.

It's such a gift. Having those post-90 years be good years is really cool.

Mine was ruled not healthy enough to travel by my mom way back when I got married in 2004, but she lived another sixteen years and even though she was tiny and frail - she was sharp as a tack until the last few months of her life. She was the only person in my family to read my dissertation. The only one I could talk to about writers we love. Honestly, the only one of all of the walleye family that wasn't absolutely brain poisoned by DC.

Ironically, this side topic of "amazing grandmothers" has, in my case, dovetailed with the mask issue because my mom is planning various funeral and remembrance activities and she and my brother are ... how to put this diplomatically ... not taking this pandemic quite as seriously as I'd like.
13395894, same as mynoriti, if I have multiple places to go
Posted by Rjcc, Mon Jul-27-20 07:42 PM
once I have it on in the right spot so my glasses aren't loose or getting fogged, I'd rather not take it off until I'm on my way home

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
13395900, That makes a ton of sense
Posted by Walleye, Mon Jul-27-20 08:15 PM
>once I have it on in the right spot so my glasses aren't
>loose or getting fogged, I'd rather not take it off until I'm
>on my way home

I'm pretty fidgety, so I'm not positive that I could effectively apply this principle, but as I said above - it's better than all my other guesses. Stupidest was "1/3rd of all drivers are Uber and are wearing it because they're at work."
13395892, I have a “The Mask” mask.
Posted by JFrost1117, Mon Jul-27-20 07:33 PM
For my personal entertainment.
13395895, I have a gang of them, N95, cloth, paper disposal, neck gaiters, I have...
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Jul-27-20 07:42 PM
1 with a Velcro opening for a straw lol
13395901, RE: What's your mask game like?
Posted by mrhood75, Mon Jul-27-20 08:22 PM
>do you have different kinds of masks for different things?

I have four of them; wife has a friend who makes them, so I'm trying to support. All for everyday wear.

>cloth, surgical/disposable, face shield?

All cloth.

>do you have trouble with foggy glasses?

Fuck yes. And sunglasses when I where them.

>do you wear a mask when you're walking on the street? in your
>car, etc..

Street, yes. Car, no. If I have it on already and am heading to somewhere where I'm going to need to wear it again, I keep it around my neck when driving.

>if they're cloth, how often are you washing them/rotating?

I actually choose my mask to try and make it "match" with what I'm wearing. I probably need to wash them a little more often.

>are you an anti-masker?

Hell no. Especially out here in Cali. I don't think I can go anywhere without wearing one. Including the outdoors farmer's market.
13395902, I only use cloth ones.
Posted by tariqhu, Mon Jul-27-20 08:23 PM
mostly from etsy.

I like african print or at least a lil kente cloth.

I prefer masks with adjustable straps.

got some from target too, just to have a few extras in car. got a family of 4, so we have to keep a few on deck.
13395969, Can't bring ourselves to wear masks walking in the neighborhood
Posted by FLUIDJ, Tue Jul-28-20 10:23 AM
with the kids....
I just can't..
If we see other folks (which we usually do)...ultimately we'll always end up on the opposite sides of the street...either they'll move or we'll move...

I got a few Proper Cloth brand ones, and a couple of boxes of the disposable blue joints and a neck gaiter.

I'll wear the neck gaiter when biking in to work in the morning....mainly because it filters out the dust and I can cover up my earbuds (which are illegal to wear in both ears while biking in DC)...

I wear the Proper Cloth brand ones during the day while at work....

I use the disposable ones when running errands that require me to be inside (grocery, UPS, etc.)

I still don't wear one while running....tried...but it just doesn't work. I just cross the street, or run in the street if necessary. I run early early mornings, so usually I only encounter 3 or 4 people at most.....
13396072, 👀
Posted by mista k5, Tue Jul-28-20 04:05 PM
https://www.atcqshop.com/product/Y4TQ21COMBO/we-the-people-atcq-stick-figure-survival-kit?cp=83001_108453
13396076, way overpriced, plus..
Posted by Mynoriti, Tue Jul-28-20 04:14 PM
will ship in 4-6 weeks?

damn lol

>https://www.atcqshop.com/product/Y4TQ21COMBO/we-the-people-atcq-stick-figure-survival-kit?cp=83001_108453
13396078, plus de la soul is better
Posted by mista k5, Tue Jul-28-20 04:21 PM
when i saw an ad for them with no price i was like im down!!!! then i saw the price...eh lol

maybe both for $80 and that would still be too much. not to mention i would want them more to just have them than use them.
13396086, Devo too
Posted by handle, Tue Jul-28-20 05:16 PM
https://ew.com/music/devo-energy-dome-face-shield-coronavirus/

They have their energy domes (flower pot hats) with covid face shields for sale.
13396080, RE: What's your mask game like?
Posted by soulsike, Tue Jul-28-20 04:37 PM
i've prolly got close to a dozen by now, mostly pretty basic, i haven't gone for fashion or logo yet.

The job (health insurance) mailed out masks to all members and employees (and twice if you're a member and employee). The color is trash, but damn if it's not the most comfortable out of all I own.

I have one with the valves (covered/filtered), but the velcro barely fits around my head, so it's ear pieces only and straps in the wind...

I keep 2-3 in the car at all times, and try to bring one in for washing each trip (with quarantine, i'm not driving all that much, save for coffee on the weekends and grocery pickup).

I want to start doing the logo / pop culture ones, but i have a huge head (TWSS) and don't wanna drop cash on something that's not gonna fit or try to rip my ears off.
13396094, you ever just forget to put it on?
Posted by Mynoriti, Tue Jul-28-20 05:50 PM
happened at the laundromat last week. its half block away so i was going back and forth, i walked in and started walking towards my machine, people were looking at me weird but not saying anything. But when i go the laundromat I always bring a clorox wipe so i don't have to physically touch the handles. When i realized i forgot the wipe, I also realized i didn't have a mask on and scurried home to get it lol
13396103, never. I have forgotten my phone a bunch of times
Posted by Rjcc, Tue Jul-28-20 06:56 PM
like I'm maxed out in the list of things I can remember when I leave the house or the car and boom

13396108, was weird feeling like the anti-mask guy for a minute
Posted by Mynoriti, Tue Jul-28-20 07:23 PM
there was a guy in home depot today without a mask. big bald trumpy looking white dude. i thought he was waiting for someone to say something so he can go off, but his buddy pointed to his face and he's like "oh shit" and put his mask on lol
13396322, Happened on Sunday
Posted by mrhood75, Wed Jul-29-20 01:51 PM
Parked my car and was walking over to the Farmer's market. Face felt weird for a second, then I looked around and saw everyone wearing masks. I thought, "Oh shit!" and rushed back to the car to get my mask.
13396112, I have about three cloth ones from here:
Posted by snacks, Tue Jul-28-20 07:29 PM
https://profoundco.com/

Will probably cop more from them (and in general)
13396125, looking for something that will cover my long-ish beard
Posted by bearfield, Tue Jul-28-20 08:14 PM
i shaved it down at the beginning of this thing but i looked awful so i let it grow out again. it's almost down to my clavicle now. i have face masks but the beard pokes out in an unpleasant way, even when i try to stuff it inside the mask. might have to go double bandana on it or a large thick cloth that has been strategically folded
13396126, ok james harden
Posted by Rjcc, Tue Jul-28-20 08:18 PM

13396336, stop hatin
Posted by bearfield, Wed Jul-29-20 02:20 PM
that's my guy though. at one point i had a not awful approximation of his pre-pandemic shorter beard. currently my beard is closer to kendrick perkins, en route to the current harden look
13396340, Neck gaiters should work.
Posted by Numba_33, Wed Jul-29-20 02:29 PM
13396407, re: glasses - dish soap!
Posted by sfMatt, Wed Jul-29-20 05:39 PM
before you go out, rub a tiny amount of dish soap all over the lenses, then wipe clean with your wiping implement of choice (people have all kinds of opinions on what *not* to use, I've found lol)... just wipe it enough that you no longer find the view obstructed in any meaningful way.

No fog for that trip out.
13396954, RE: What's your mask game like?
Posted by MeshaMeesh, Sat Aug-01-20 04:43 PM
In the beginning, my mom swiped some N95 masks from her job because I needed them for dusting, LOL. It worked out for the time, and then we were able to get some more.

Once those were gone, we had to use basic surgical masks. Then, she found KN95s.

She also just bought cloth masks from Etsy but they're thin... and also more difficult to breathe in.

I don't really like cloth masks, BUT I do really want to get masks with album covers. Anybody know if someone makes them?? Ghostface has one for "Supreme Clientele" and it's so dope.

---

https://twitter.com/MeeshUniVerSoul

"She was on that tip about stoppin' the violence
About my people she was teachin' me..."
13396976, Let's see...
Posted by Kira, Sun Aug-02-20 10:10 AM
18 N95 masks
Two face shields
Two pairs of goggles to protect eyes.
8 surgical masks
Two Rendall short cloth masks
Two Rendall lommng cloth masks
I go throw a box of latex gloves every month.