Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectRE: Please explain that last episode to me *spoilers* welcome
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13394660&mesg_id=13400849
13400849, RE: Please explain that last episode to me *spoilers* welcome
Posted by shamus, Tue Aug-25-20 01:33 AM
i don't think any of those scenarios happened. i don't think she ever confronted him at all. (and while i do think the full memory finally returned to her, i'm not entirely clear if she even actually saw the rapist again at ego death. however, as a viewer i want that to be true.)

i interpreted all those iterations as her still trying to write the end of the book and also just processing the most difficult part of the journey--what to do with the solidified image of the rapist.

in the first draft, she experiments with vengeance. in the second draft, there's some sort of confession/explanation and then an official recognition of his guilt by the criminal justice system. in the third draft, it's imagining what it could have been like if it was consensual, and if she (and Terry) had never been robbed of full control from the first encounter at the bar to the decisive dismissal from her bed and from under it.

all the drafts help get her to a point where she's able to have some sort of merging of her light and her dark and transition to "letting go". i don't think "let go" means she's completely pain free or memory free. it just means she's hungry for the rest of her life already, so she's deciding.

I'm not sure, but I think the final image represents some kind of version of her merged self. a merging of all the ambiguities, of the version of her above and below the bed, a la the book cover and the diagram the therapist draws for her in ep. 9. she looks mischievous and a little scary, but she's also running free in the sunlight.