Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectCan't disagree. And re: reparations,
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13394377&mesg_id=13397130
13397130, Can't disagree. And re: reparations,
Posted by kfine, Mon Aug-03-20 03:48 PM
I misinterpreted at first and thought you were referring to reparations from the US, but seeing your exchange with Musa I see you were talking about from Africans/African govs...

I've always wanted to ask folks, if there's any *non-monetary* actions that would interest Black Americans? (*not* saying there's anything wrong with a monetary ask btw, just thinking about different angles)

Like, for me, as a 1st-gen/daughter of African immigrants (and yes I reject the "2nd"-gen label)? I feel sometimes like I can relate to the disconnection 'DOS groups express because I wasn't born or raised back home. Many of us can relate to language barriers, lack of (known/trusted) network, feelings of cultural displacement, etc.

I've always felt that African nations could do a lot more in terms of welcome/re-integration efforts, which I suppose might fall under their tourism sectors. I mean things like expedited visas (possibly even citizenship) for 'DOS, cultural tour programs (less emphasis on slavecastles/barracks), host family networks, concierge services, etc. Even foreign investor programs to allow Black Americans (and other 'DOS) a chance to contribute/collaborate/profit from growing this type of tourism. If designed right, it would/should help the local economies too i.e be a win-win.

In your opinion, do you think such initiatives could appeal to a lot of Black Americans? Or am I totally in a 1st-gen bubble?