Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectYour words hit deep. I agree with your point about Pan-Africanism.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13394377&mesg_id=13397097
13397097, Your words hit deep. I agree with your point about Pan-Africanism.
Posted by kfine, Mon Aug-03-20 02:00 PM
>I think this is where Pan-Africanism fails us and y'all (the movement have to find a better way to address it.

>And now that folks are starting to point out the ways Black
>immigrants are benefitting from policies that Black Americans
>fought for, but can't seem access, it's a huge dumpster fire.
>Pan-Africanism has to have solid responses to these issues,
>and I've yet to hear a cogent one.

Right. I definitely understand this injustice to Black Americans, and hopefully reparations efforts include helpful provisions (eg. set-asides specifically for Black American DOS as a distinct protected class). I guess it was hard for the original framers of these policies to envision a future where civil rights efforts were so successful that there would have to be additional efforts to sort out competing interests *among* black people and other underrepresented groups.

It does make me sad when rhetoric descends into straight-up exclusion tho (not saying you are here, just an observation of some of the commentary out there)... which I think almost reinforces the interchangeability/"just swap one in for the other" perspective that's contributed to screwing Black Americans over in the first place. Is it possible for Black Americans to get their due, be nurtured, invested in, and thrive *without* denying other minority groups an opportunity to overcome discrimination? I would hope so... and tbh I sincerely think so. But there seems to be a concerted effort (from both ends of the political spectrums) to paint the situation as zero-sum.

Other thing is, I think we (black immigrants) bear some responsibility too, for sure. It's not just outdated Pan-Africanism imo. I think education and awareness on these issues have not been taken seriously enough across the black diaspora, which has led to a poorly developed black consciousness in some groups. Every black population around the globe lives under some form of post-colonial apparatus, but Black American DOS are truly the only and largest black DOS population still living under the one erected by their majority-holding white neighbors... So Black Americans' leadership in this regard is unsurprising since it was in part pressure-cooked and necessary for survival (tho I guess Black South Africans could argue a similar case, tho in their scenario they were/are breaking out of minority-white oppression). But the downside is it probably leads to some (understandable) frustration with other black groups who are a bit behind.

But ya: agreed, Pan-Africanism 1.0 has its flaws and needs updating asap to confront intra-group trauma. My only concern is I think the other extreme gaining traction, acrimonious balkanization, would end up equally ineffective as 1.0 if not worse. I think the global black diaspora could be powerful beyond measure if we could just find that damn *balance*... i.e. true mutual respect, empathy, solidarity, collaboration, etc. Not giving up on us tho.