Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI understand/share similar frustrations.You don't think you're
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13394377&mesg_id=13397087
13397087, I understand/share similar frustrations.You don't think you're
Posted by kfine, Mon Aug-03-20 01:41 PM
infantilizing a bit here tho??

>
>It's like they still haven't realized that 'race' now
>dominates tribes in today's world. Caucasian, Arab, Asian,
>etc. don't care what tribe of African....they all see them the
>same....a Black African...not worthy of anything except
>subjugation.

Do you truly believe the problem is continental Africans just 'haven't realized' racism supersedes tribalism?? Or is it more likely that barriers to progress in many African countries are just super complex, even with majority-black populations?

>
>It makes no sense how Africa is the richest continent yet its
>inhabitants, compared to the rest of the world, are the
>poorest. Yet it's Africa's wealth that prop up the so called
>first world countries.
>
>I mean, yes, the opposing tribe(s) has different language,
>culture, religion, etc. but c'mon, you'd rather turn on them
>and get dominated by Anglo Whites, now Chinese on the come up,
>than sticking together and pulling up the continent?
>
>Tired of Africa being the face of disease, poverty, famine,
>war, and current slavery.

Well.. African countries are only the face of disease, poverty, famine, war, and slavery if that's all one's willing to see, just the same way Black America is only the face of its disparities with respect to disease, poverty, violence, etc if that's all one is willing to see. Someone could take your question about how Africans can struggle on such a resource-rich continent and flip it to also ask how Black Americans can struggle in the wealthiest country in the world. To any of those characterizations I'd say: show me a post-colonial state where the previously-colonized and/or previously-enslaved black population is thriving. It's not so cut and dry, imho.

Other thing is, post-colonialism is insidious af right? One of its weirdest characteristics is an oppressor group doesn't even need to remain a majority (or presence, for that matter) for their apparatus to still shape/stifle society significantly. Dr. Afrikana Chihombori-Quao was removed last year from her post as Ambassador of the AU to the United States for vocalizing this very issue (https://youtu.be/HgMDuL9Ww7Y?t=108 - note: not endorsing or maligning Roland's show by reposting btw, it's just a really good interview).

So sure, there's more obvious colonial remnants that seem relatively benign (tho they're not, tbh) like language (eg. french, english, arabic), religion (Christianity, Islam), and social stratification systems (eg. title/peerage schemes, caste hierarchies, etc). But these just scratch the surface.

I don't see how we can seriously critique/discuss nation-building in Africa without addressing the post-colonial legacy in say... the monetary systems (eg. not just currency, at times monetary policy itself); the political economies (eg. not just who gender-, ethnicity-, and religion-wise has representation and power, but the boundaries shaping a country itself and their dictates in terms of (natural) resource extraction, (financial) resource allocation, inter-regional peace v. instability, etc); the financial economies (eg. not just who gender-, ethnicity-, and religion-wise has access and literacy, but ownership and dominance especially taking into account huge multinationals like Total, De Beers, Shell, Chevron, Vodafone, BP, and others), and foreign relations (eg. Are Black African Heads of State, Ministers, and other top officials taken as seriously on the world stage as others? Are the priorities of African countries and/or their most victimized adequately addressed by multilaterals and other supposed allies? Did independence truly decolonize African countries, or were they roped - under threat of currecy, trade, proxy, regime change and other types of war - into harmful treaties that extended the colonial dynamic?) and so much more. All these factors mix together with intrinsic challenges every ethno-lingustic/-religious group already has and forms post-colonial goo not unlike the post-colonial goo Black Americans have to contend with to advance, except for the fact that race may not be a prime ingredient.

*Not blindly defending all that happens on the continent, mind you... I'm frustrated by many things too. But I do believe barriers to progress are just complex everywhere, especially in African countries.