Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI think a lot of Black GenXer's and us older Millennials
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13394377&mesg_id=13395409
13395409, I think a lot of Black GenXer's and us older Millennials
Posted by afrogirl_lost, Fri Jul-24-20 10:54 AM
were taught about slavery from Pan-Africanist teachers and professors. The lack of acknowledgement of tribalism and classism in pre-colonial West Africa never sat well with me, but I didn't have the language to object back then. I think we can all agree that Europeans dominated, spread, and reaped most of the benefits of the slave trade, but it's still painful to know that Africans were involved at any level. When I teach about the slave trade to my students, they don't care about tribes/warfare etc no matter how well I explain it. All they hear is that Africans sold us. They don't say this out loud, but I can see it in their faces. I think this is where Pan-Africanism fails us and y'all (the movement )have to find a better way to address it.

And now that folks are starting to point out the ways Black immigrants are benefitting from policies that Black Americans fought for, but can't seem access, it's a huge dumpster fire. Pan-Africanism has to have solid responses to these issues, and I've yet to hear a cogent one.