Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subject** CONFESSION WEDNESDAY **
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13391487
13391487, ** CONFESSION WEDNESDAY **
Posted by Geah, Wed Jul-01-20 12:15 AM
Zzzz
13391517, I got it out my head...
Posted by SuiteLady, Wed Jul-01-20 08:23 AM
can't say it out loud you know?
#familydrama
13391530, you are not alone (c)
Posted by CherNic, Wed Jul-01-20 09:32 AM
I'm at the point where if someone passes I go home for the shortest amount of time 'acceptable'

I talked to my dad yesterday and he was griping b/c his cousin is in hospice and his cousin's wife wasn't as forthcoming with info as my dad would like....I mean.....that's her business? Is that wrong lol
13391540, Yep! Me too, I have been know to leave town directly after
Posted by SuiteLady, Wed Jul-01-20 09:45 AM
the funeral.

Thanks for commenting and telling me I am not unique in this.
13391526, i need a vacation
Posted by mista k5, Wed Jul-01-20 09:26 AM
some days off or a new job. every little thing makes me wanna quit right now.

oh you want me to do you a favor?
oh you want me to do work i dont like?
oh you want me to do my regular work??

cant stand it! lol
13391625, ive had this feeling my whole life tbh
Posted by cgonz00cc, Wed Jul-01-20 12:51 PM

>oh you want me to do my regular work??
>
>cant stand it! lol
13391543, I took two days off to keep from virtually punching people in the face
Posted by imcvspl, Wed Jul-01-20 10:09 AM
Aka my downward spiral continues. Every fucking thing is a trigger. Just need to make it to Friday so I can take a break to celebrate this fucking great country.

Fuck this shit.
13391601, At least your sense of humor is intact
Posted by KingMonte, Wed Jul-01-20 11:50 AM
13391544, i need a new hobby to sink my mind into as a distraction from life
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Jul-01-20 10:13 AM
13391551, The wave of removing problematic content from platforms is offensive
Posted by MEAT, Wed Jul-01-20 10:28 AM
Recently Hulu and Netflix pulled an episode of Golden Girls for having mudmasks ... they said it was blackface reasons, it was not blackface.

They also pulled an episode of Community where Chang is dressed as a dark elf, BLACK skin, white wig ... they said it was blackface reasons, it was not blackface.

In neither of those two things cited was it lampooning or mocking Black people, performing minstrel, or anything even touching blackface.

Today my Youtube recommended me an SNL skit about
"Thomas Jefferson Meets Sally Hemings"

Summary: Thomas Jefferson (Robert De Niro) meets his new slave, Sally Hemings (Maya Rudolph), and quickly becomes infatuated with her. His fellow statesmen (Jimmy Fallon, Chris Parnell) comment that he's known for only dating "black chicks."

That's more offensive than any of the fake blackface or real blackface episodes that I've seen before. But this content is still up because the corporations aren't doing the actual work to learn why some of their shit is problematic and that's a problem.
13391612, Good post...
Posted by Marbles, Wed Jul-01-20 12:13 PM

Some of these reflexive actions make me think that people will soon be saying, "We took down , our work is done."
13391618, This was my meme take
Posted by KingMonte, Wed Jul-01-20 12:32 PM
https://imgflip.com/i/46ivjc
13391630, Hard pass on the Breonna memes, no diss to you
Posted by MEAT, Wed Jul-01-20 01:01 PM
13391578, Family over COVID or nah?
Posted by FLUIDJ, Wed Jul-01-20 11:27 AM
I'm sayin....
Haven't been home since Thanksgiving....
Reasons have arisen that have led to a request of our presence for a going away celebration....
It's a risk I'm not willing to take....
Awaiting the blowback now....hoping I'm making a mountain out of a molehill....

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"
13391582, My parents live up the street, we aint been over and they haven't either
Posted by MEAT, Wed Jul-01-20 11:29 AM
We'll see each other from the driveway, but other than that. Nah.
13391611, see....y'all smart...model citizens even!
Posted by FLUIDJ, Wed Jul-01-20 12:12 PM
I'm proud my sibling has made this life choice to enlist and all...
But I'm not down with the idea of throwing a going away celebration....would prefer that she just make the rounds one by one.....

13391615, Eh. The science hasn't changed all that much since March
Posted by MEAT, Wed Jul-01-20 12:21 PM
Just the things the politicians are saying.
I'm honestly surprised at the amount of going out and intermingling people still feel comfortable doing, even with masks.

13391603, I missed a memorial celebration for my pops back home
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Jul-01-20 11:56 AM
Had a valid excuse tho..

not opposed to seeing family but I’m not trying to drive 7 hours with my kids right now.

Going back to the coast this weekend to see the in-laws. We stay masked up in the house because my FIL had lung surgery a while back.

13391605, Yeah, and I hadn't even factored in the 5 hr drive (that turns into 6 with kids)
Posted by FLUIDJ, Wed Jul-01-20 12:00 PM
And the fact that there's no way they can sit in the car for 5 hrs straight without a bathroom break...

>Had a valid excuse tho..
>
>not opposed to seeing family but I’m not trying to drive 7
>hours with my kids right now.
>
>Going back to the coast this weekend to see the in-laws. We
>stay masked up in the house because my FIL had lung surgery a
>while back.

My family CLAIMS that they stay masked up and take precautions...but I don't believe them all the way... Mom STAYS making "quick trips" to the grocery store.... Dad still works in retail and goes to work daily.... my siblings still be out and about doing whatever it is that they do.... I love em...but they risky....

13391609, oh and yesterday they had a funeral for my grand aunt, 93 years old...
Posted by FLUIDJ, Wed Jul-01-20 12:10 PM
she got COVID back in May while in nursing home...just passed last week...
I haven't even called home to see how it went....
Last I'd heard...they were planning to hold it as some sort of drive thru setup...but they wanted to have some mock pallbearers great all the attendees for some reason...and they wanted the nephews to play that role (aunt didn't have any kids of her own...but all 3 of her sisters did).. My 73 year old dad (currently undergoing daily cancer treatment, former smoker, diabetic, and triple bypass survivor) is one of those nephews... and his cousins are all in similar boat....
My 95 year old grandma and her 99 year old sister wanted to be there in person.....
smh...
I swear man....it's sad...scary...infuriating....
I just want to tell them all to sit they asses down somewhere and chill until this shit blows over....

13391631, My wife’s granny just passed. 95.
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Jul-01-20 01:22 PM
We had a funeral. Everyone kept their distance for the most part.

It was outside.

It’s tough because my MIL didn’t want to do anything but.. I mean, it’s tough. You want to pay respect and send them off right.
13391613, RE: Family over COVID or nah?
Posted by Marbles, Wed Jul-01-20 12:17 PM

My Mom ain't messing around. She's not going anywhere. I worry about her because she lives alone. My little brother is much more concerned about it than I am.

The little lady has had some family members who want to come down to Florida for some fun. She shut that down quickly. She doesn't want them coming here, going out to kick it and bringing back something to our place.
13391646, here
Posted by infin8, Wed Jul-01-20 02:06 PM
is a video of kendrick lamar saying NO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceWgBwOFvEM

13391623, The science never changed on COVID
Posted by MEAT, Wed Jul-01-20 12:46 PM
I still do my daily Redditing for a more local news on COVID and people are tiring "lefties" are up in the arms about the non mask compliance but I read yesterday that:

Personal responsibility is not enough to stop a pandemic.

Early on in this a majority of Americans supported masks and sheltering in place. Then astroturfed protests were started, then popularized beyond how big they were, and then based on a single non peer reviewed study that said "Tucker Carlson viewers are anti mask." back in March that got outsized media coverage the narrative started to take hold. Then people had a position and they could "other" folks.

If folks had been paid to be at home adequately and testing had ramped up alongside tracing, there wouldn't have been a place for those fake protests. But that manufactured campaign was a starting point.

Th politicians abandoned us and the economy for their own selfish reasons. The solution can't be "if we all shopped local we can help each other" because that still encourages gathering.

The government doesn't have a central plan for spread mitigation or contact testing and that they're abdicating their duties by putting ALL of the responsibility on the people and the business owners. Additionally the government developed and continues to push an economic recovery plan as a priority and not a health, safety, and wellness campaign.

The virus didn't spread because people weren't wearing masks, it spread because of shitty messaging, shittier government, and a callous disregard by the government of the very rules and metrics that the government said they were following.
13391638, that whole willing to sacrifice for the economy crap
Posted by mista k5, Wed Jul-01-20 01:35 PM
was where things really took a down turn. people started actually agreeing with that. like if that was a choice that had to be made. the government then threw their support behind that idea by not providing enough support and incentive for people to stay home, for companies to keep workers at home.

a lot of people suddenly didnt have a choice but to starve or be at risk.

i would say it is riskier to leave your house now than it was in march but people arent acting like it.

my brother is inviting me over for 4th of july and i dont know what i will do. i know i shouldnt go. i know they dont go out, i think they have both been working from home this whole time. its not the biggest risk to go over but it is a risk. i might feel more comfortable going if i had been working from home.
13391640, Yup.
Posted by MEAT, Wed Jul-01-20 01:44 PM
13391674, 10 second rule
Posted by SuiteLady, Wed Jul-01-20 03:32 PM
Eating stuff they dropped on the floor. Are people still doing that in the age of COVID?
13391680, 10??? i thought it was five
Posted by mista k5, Wed Jul-01-20 04:05 PM
mythbusters put that to rest a long time ago too though. if people were still doing it before covid those same people are still doing it now.
13391685, No.. it’s always been 5 seconds.
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Jul-01-20 04:28 PM
13391692, Are people still doing it at 5?
Posted by SuiteLady, Wed Jul-01-20 05:04 PM
13391738, I don’t see why not.. at least at home.
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Jul-02-20 05:48 AM
13391683, celebrity gossip on here and elsewhere is gross
Posted by atruhead, Wed Jul-01-20 04:20 PM
despite what else is happening in this world, 2020 has been pretty good to me
13391688, its hard to resist
Posted by mista k5, Wed Jul-01-20 04:39 PM
i try to avoid it but i cant pretend i havent indulged in it sometimes.
13391727, he left my mother with nothing...
Posted by Trinity444, Wed Jul-01-20 11:14 PM
my step dad has five kids; yet, I’ve spent the most time with him...45 years. some of these children came during those 45 too. one of them has always been disrespectful to my mother. Her and I almost came to blows today over planning his funeral. So off my game but, don’t fuck with my mama...

13391739, Damn. My sister just went thru hell while burying her dad
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Jul-02-20 05:50 AM
Implications of not being his bio by her sisters because they want his money and she’s standing in the way because she is next of kin.

Totally flipped on her.

Nothing worse than people fighting after death. When my aunts husband passed away we choked out his son who was being mad disrespectful to the fam.