Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectBrands get sold everyday, B © The Hood...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13391258&mesg_id=13391831
13391831, Brands get sold everyday, B © The Hood...
Posted by CyrenYoung, Thu Jul-02-20 01:22 PM
..Def Jam, Rocafella, BET, etc.

All those brands were once black owned/operated, but were eventually sold (in part or entirety) to grow the business overall.

Typically, the founders work to retain a substantial stake, but even that isn't guaranteed.

Triptych answered your OP with the very 1st reply, yet people are in this thread claiming that anyone with an "OK" next to their name is acting dodgy, keeping secrets, or being sensitive. RJCC told you that he doesn't know anymore than y'all, and apparently people think he's trolling LOL. You're asking a messageboard community to answer more questions that only ?uest or Thought can/should answer. And when you don't get the response you were looking for, people just run with assumptions.

Does that mean that I don't have a clue?

No. It means I know better than to speak for others when they can speak for themselves.

You can use the same parking lot for 20 yrs and never realize that its ownership changed hands several times during that span. Why is this any different?

The speculation regarding OkayAfrica is understandable, given the fact that people love to run with assumptions. Yet, Ginny (until recently) has always been front & center of that brand/movement and has told the story of its origins on this very site, but y'all never bothered to read it. As so many people have blatantly mentioned in this thread (and others) that they are/were only interested in the boards, but most of this current community never bothered to check out the rest of the site (even though we've been asking/advertising that since the days of the original splash page). How can anyone here feign shock & awe or surprise when they opted out of the very same info they're currently seeking?

I don't have anything to do with how much info is published about the origins or current partners/owners of this site, but we all know who the founders are and they're still involved (even at a distance).

I'm not sure what else you expect to be said here, but you're not getting the response that you desire because you're asking the wrong people.

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...