Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectCan we talk about modern gaming?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13391196
13391196, Can we talk about modern gaming?
Posted by MEAT, Mon Jun-29-20 06:26 PM
1. I just saw the gameplay trailer for Cyberpunk 2077, why do so many cars still have the same physics and sounds from PS1

2. How many FPS Battle Royale and/or Halo type games need to be made? They've taken the mantle of when everyone was trying to make their own fighter, but 19 years after HALO first came out can we do something else. Unreal came out in 99, Halo 2001 ... sheesh.

3. The 8-16 Bit rogue lites were cool in small doses ... but when you're not doing anything unique with the sprites then the whole genre is saturated.

4. I'm tired of the camera tricks. Breath of the wild was a remarkable game, but it wasn't long after starting that I realized I could place a finger on the screen where Link is, and it would stay on him the whole time. I'm an old. I can remember the physics behind controlling an avatar across the whole screen, the fixed camera generating map still doesn't sit right with my brain. Galaga, Pac-Man, Donkey Kong all let you explore the whole screen.

5. I'm looking forward to this next paper mario, it has some interesting physics. But what sucks is that mario needs to appeal to kids as their target audience, so all of this extra instruction and guides takes the joy away from it. For background Mario 1 2 and 3 appealed to kids too and didn't hold your hand through specific words just design language, it wasn't until the Super Mario World on SNES that you got instructions.

6. Killer Instinct is the best fighter of all time.
13391211, Recently started playing Dead by Daylight for PS4
Posted by Adwhizz, Mon Jun-29-20 11:50 AM
Super fun, multiplayer survival game with a number of famous horror movie characters

Fire Pro Wrestling World is shitting on every other wrestling title after they introduced DLC that allows users to create their own moves

https://youtu.be/X0eWfggOJkg
https://youtu.be/iShHGXeI7yU
https://youtu.be/DvfLVkK5AAI
13391212, Hyper Scape: Ubisoft Reportedly Ready to Reveal New Battle Royale
Posted by MEAT, Mon Jun-29-20 11:56 AM

https://www.ign.com/articles/hyper-scape-ubisoft-reportedly-ready-to-reveal-new-battle-royale
13391217, I don't have the attention span anymore
Posted by sectachrome86, Mon Jun-29-20 12:20 PM
I can never finish games even if Im enjoying them. I will get to a point where its been "too long" since I played last and then I never pick it up again. Same with books actually.

I do have a pretty high end sim racing rig though that I spend a lot of time on.
13391218, pretty much
Posted by mista k5, Mon Jun-29-20 12:27 PM
i find it hard to psyche myself up to actually play. there will be times i will think i should play a game but end up watching youtube or just browsing on my phone lol

last game that really hooked me was mario odyssey. smash had me for a bit. i still havent gotten much into breath of the wild.

lately ive been placing a racer and donkey kong freeze but thats like for an hour every 2 months.
13391224, Not a fan.. wish I was.
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon Jun-29-20 01:37 PM
I had the PS2 but mostly for the DVD to watch movies.

Some of these games look cool as shit and I wonder if a PS5 makes sense but I already know it’s going to collect dust.
13391239, i keep telling myself that im just not trying the right games
Posted by mista k5, Mon Jun-29-20 04:30 PM
i think im just not really a gamer. i loved it in middle school and high school. didnt bother taking a system with me to college and since its been a rare thing. i was into emulators for a good while.

i might get more into it once i cancel netflix again, i think im going to do so when this month is up.

maybe ill try playing the switch in handheld mode.
13391242, I did think the Switch was kind of a game changer
Posted by sectachrome86, Mon Jun-29-20 04:33 PM
because of the ability to use it in handheld mode. I've used it way more that way than connected to my TV. Easy to just pick up and play whenever, wherever. Zelda BOW is actually really good. I got pretty far in it but haven't finished. I need to get back on that. I did finish Mario Odyssey.
13391381, i think botw being open world is keeping me from diving in
Posted by mista k5, Tue Jun-30-20 12:08 PM
i want something with structure and clear goals. i guess i could just focus on the missions and try to rush through them but seems like that goes against the type of game it is.

who got 11th in this post?
13391373, This is where I"m at.
Posted by WarriorPoet415, Tue Jun-30-20 11:40 AM
>I can never finish games even if Im enjoying them. I will get
>to a point where its been "too long" since I played last and
>then I never pick it up again. Same with books actually.

Actually forced myself to revisit some old games recently. I have a glut of games I need to get back to. Last games I "finished" were AC Odyssey and Borderlands 3. And I have DLC for both that I"m only meh about getting thru. (AC Odyssey is basically the never-ending game)

Metal Gear Phantom Pain? I think if I get back to that, I"m just gonna start all over. Trying to remember a control scheme after you haven't played a game for a while is a pain, especially since the intro/tutorial gives you the proper context on when and how to use certain moves. I need to get back to RDR 2 as well.

I do better at games where there really is no end. I've poured hours into Elite Dangerous and NMS. Even tactical games where there are endings are more about the experience than the end. That's why I'll pick up Xcom or Tropico before I get thru an adventure game.

"To Each His Reach"

but.....

Fuck aliens.
13391433, just here to say how much I ADORE AC Odyssey
Posted by Dstl1, Tue Jun-30-20 03:05 PM
13391222, Fallout 76 is not terrible, it's actually really good.
Posted by double negative, Mon Jun-29-20 01:11 PM
Is the cap limit annoying? yes.

Are the game mechanics frustrating at times? yes.

its a dope game, it seems the people who complain the most are the folks who play the game waaaaay too much. Too much in this case meaning 8 hours a day, they've played every event twice, earned everything possible.

13391223, i'm team "Play smaller games"
Posted by hardware, Mon Jun-29-20 01:18 PM
like 2-10hr games

idk if anybody got that itch.io BLM bundle but i've been playing a ton of those from little indie creators and having a lot of fun

13391237, have BARELY gamed after having kids
Posted by PROMO, Mon Jun-29-20 04:25 PM
at one point, i was one of the better console/controller players in the world on Battlefield 3/4.

haven't played a FPS in almost 5 years. jumped back on BF4 and was ASS JUICE.

now, when it comes to gaming, I mostly get joy out of watching YouTube vids of good gamers/content creators playing games.

when i didn't have kids, i had the time to actually try to be good. now, not worth it to me.
13391240, This site schooled me to Mafia 3. I want more of that.
Posted by KingMonte, Mon Jun-29-20 04:32 PM
A Black lead going around "New Orleans" in 1968 murdering racists? One of the missions is massacring a klan rally.
I'm not a gamer, but when I find one I like, I live in that shit. I played through M3 8/9 times now.
13391241, Deleted message
Posted by KingMonte, Mon Jun-29-20 04:32 PM
No message
13391378, I told someone the other day...
Posted by Pamalama, Tue Jun-30-20 11:55 AM
Give me a game that moves from side-to-side and I'm good.

These newfangled games are too much for me. My kid is playing the Last of Us 2. It looks pretty good, but the graphics combined with the different movements make me nauseous.

Yeah, I'm old.
13391404, I love Apex & have been playing more NBA 2k
Posted by eclipsedInI, Tue Jun-30-20 01:17 PM
the online competition against others is fun

I used to be in a large clan when I was younger and would play COD with them, but COD just isn't as fun for me if you're not running with 8+ people.
13391448, I miss 2D adventure games like Legend of Zelda & Zelda 3
Posted by flipnile, Tue Jun-30-20 05:13 PM
Secret of Maya and Secret of Evermore were dope too. Basic overhead graphics with a focus of figuring out things and solving puzzles, rather than the modern focus of really dope graphics and button-mashing action.

The GTA series is pretty dope tho.

Madden sucks. Same game for the past 20 years, just with graphics and roster updates. FOH EA.

Simulation games (which are my favorite) have gotten worse over the years, for the same reason that adventure games have: Focus of graphics and other shit that doesn't matter to a simulation.

I've never played an online console game. Not once. If I can't play it alone then it's wack to me.