Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectLol,I think I was preparing myself mentally for a deluge of anti-African
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13390331&mesg_id=13390770
13390770, Lol,I think I was preparing myself mentally for a deluge of anti-African
Posted by kfine, Thu Jun-25-20 01:55 PM
sentiment online, similar to what Moore and Carnell indulge in sometimes (I'm a daughter of West African immigrants/first gen, so it does hurt). But from what I've seen, the commentary's mostly been from other West Africans (at least on twitter), and a few media outlets. Not that the coverage has been favorable.

He was CEO of Okayplayer as a whole tho, not just Okayafrica. And I wasn't trying to imply that an immigrant, first-, or second-generation African shouldn't ever lead a Black American media brand or that a Black American shouldn't ever lead an African media brand. Moreso that diversity, representation, and inclusion are applicable goals in predominantly black spaces too.

You raise an interesting question about how we haven't really heard from many Black American/ADOS men on this issue (I mean, other than 15 and BT) and what their representation was like there. One could argue that Black American/ADOS men have been the dominant group within Black American brands in the music/culture space - or at least within those focused on Hip Hop - and it's notable that women have had issues in those black spaces as well. edit: i.e. maybe that has something to do with it??

>pointing it out. He's indeed Nigerian btw. It's the first
>question he answers in an interview with Ebro of Hot97 that I
>found when trying to find his origins.
>
>He's over OkayAfrica, so I don't guess it's odd to have a
>second generation immigrant in that position. At least one of
>the women appears to be ADOS, but idk if she's a rarity or
>not. I was wondering if any ADOS men were employed there as
>well after one of the women says even her immediate supervisor
>was a white guy. I didn't even know OkayAfrica was founded by
>a white woman. It just gets more and more interesting.
>