Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjective been conflicted about replying
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13390094&mesg_id=13391633
13391633, ive been conflicted about replying
Posted by mista k5, Wed Jul-01-20 01:26 PM
im mexican, from both parents. i know race does not equal ethnicity and vice versa but i dont identify at all as white.

that said, i think i would very much be more likely to be mistaken for white than Black. i would think most people would assume im mexican (or possibly asian) but if the choice is white or Black then yeah they would probably think im white.

so based on that i feel like i should reply.

i live in and grew up in a city that is around 80% latinx, like 10% non-latinx white, 5% Black. most people that are not latinx live on the military base. so in school it was rare to see someone that was not latinx.

i did go to college in detroit.

ive always identified as a minority and have been empathetic to all struggles. i dont pretend that they are one in the same but i do believe we all need to support people that are being discriminated against.

im bothered by how much racism is prevalent in mexican communities. i have been in denial about it before, "how could it be possible that a minority would be racist??" but obviously it is there. i do try to show my disapproval whenever i see someone making racist jokes or saying racist things, no matter how innocent they think they might be.

in my family there have been a fair amount of inter-racial relationships.

i mostly try to read and learn from posts regarding Black issues. im not sure how much value i can add by replying most of the time but i dont want my absence to be interpreted as a lack of support.

during the past few weeks i have donated to causes and tried to educate people on why people are protesting to the best of my ability. i feel like if the focus right now is on Black Lives Matter then we should all put our support behind that movement.

i am curious on if this post was meant for only white people, caucasian..european descent etc or if you were looking for "white" people that are of any ethnicity to reply as well.

hopefully i havent made a fool of myself but if i have do let me know how.