Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjecthwhite guy checking in
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13390094&mesg_id=13390398
13390398, hwhite guy checking in
Posted by sectachrome86, Tue Jun-23-20 05:01 PM
Like others, as a white kid I was introduced to Black culture and issues through hip hop. I started getting into it when I was 13 or 14. At first I just liked the music, and then the more I listened the more I would research what was being talked about in the songs. It's exposed me to history, culture, and points of view I would otherwise be completely oblivious to.

In general I come to this message board for the discussions about music, news, and BSing. But part of it is also to hear and learn from the Black perspective on those things. Honestly its also just refreshing to know I wont have to read any tone deaf, ignorant (on race anyway...), or cringey all lives mattery comments that I see everywhere else on the internet and in real life. I know my place as a white dude on here though.

I'm trying to figure out what the best ways for me personally are to help. As of now, I've donated to various organizations that fight specifically against issues against Black people. I donate to an organization that uses hockey to help empower under resourced kids in Philly - I love seeing Black and brown kids get involved in a sport I love but has traditionally been white AF. I've educated friends and family about things they weren't aware of and called out instances of racism that are less obvious. Ive continued to read and educate myself. Of course I could do better though and I think am more aware of actively looking for opportunities to support now.