Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectRE: How Do You Feel About Black People Still Giving Trump His Photo Op?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13389094&mesg_id=13389096
13389096, RE: How Do You Feel About Black People Still Giving Trump His Photo Op?
Posted by KingMonte, Tue Jun-16-20 07:02 AM
I imagine to do the tough work, you have to make tough calls.
The pictures would be a dealbreaker for me, but I imagine Lee sees a bigger picture. He's doing the work, so I don't see how my words compare to his work.

From Shaun King:
Tomorrow, my best friend in the world, my dear brother @leemerrittesq is going into the lion's den to fight for families impacted by police violence and racial injustice on behalf of @grassrootslaw. ⁣

Many of these families will be going with him as he speaks in the Senate, meets with the Justice Department, and meets with the staff at the White House - including Donald Trump himself. ⁣

I don't know a single person in the world that cares more for the families that we fight for than Lee. He becomes like family, like a brother, like a son, like a father to families whose most precious loved ones have been murdered and maimed by police and white supremacists. ⁣

I also don't know a single person with more of a backbone, that will never buckle under pressure, that will always speak truth to power, rather that means in the Oval Office, or on the Senate floor, than Lee. ⁣

But I have to say something hard, that I know a lot of people don't wanna hear right now. ⁣

Lee is the attorney for the family of Ahmaud Arbery, for Antwon Rose, for Botham Jean, and for nearly 100 other families impacted by injustice in this country. ⁣

And I know that many of us are addicted to the Democratic Party, but I need you to understand something - we don't have the luxury of waiting until Democrats win to fight for justice. Hell - more than 2/3rds of Lee's clients are in cities controlled by Democrats and we can't get any semblance of justice for so many of them. ⁣

In some places, we have to work with Republicans to get justice. In Georgia, where Lee represents Ahmaud's family - EVERY SINGLE PERSON IN POWER on that case is a Republican. ⁣

The Governor. The AG. The DA. The GBI. ⁣

All of them. And Lee had to find a way to work with them, amicably, to ensure that the men who murdered Ahmaud were arrested. ⁣

And tomorrow is no different. ⁣

Please follow @leemerrittesq and give him some love and support. Tomorrow is a big day for him, for @grassrootslaw, and for what we are trying to push on the federal level. And it’s a big day for the families, many that never had cases that went viral, to finally be seen and heard.