Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectFiOS, I ditched the TV plan last year and stopped renting their router/modem
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13388362&mesg_id=13388444
13388444, FiOS, I ditched the TV plan last year and stopped renting their router/modem
Posted by FLUIDJ, Thu Jun-11-20 08:21 AM
modem thing just this past fall when I discovered I could just plug my mesh router directly into the ONT (or whatever that thing is called)...

That was working decent enough, but we still had 100mb/s service as of 3 weeks ago. I got to researching and found out I could get Gigabit service for $10 more than I was paying for 100mbps so that was the move.

Once that was activated I quickly determined that the low budget mesh router I had (Tenda MW6) was a weak link...dropping signal, slow handoff between nodes, max speed was lower than gigabit, etc...

Ended up with the Velop MX5 WiFi 6 unit that amazingly covers the entire house (basement & two levels above) I'm averaging 500mbps down AND up. (mix of iPhones, Macbooks, iPads, Dell laptop, Android) The iPhones & my work Galaxy S10e are the only ones that can take full advantage of WiFi 6...

NO more dropped & freezing Zoom & MS Teams meetings....also some other network benefits that I hadn't expected...