Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjecti hear everything your saying...those critiques and concerns are valid
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13387435&mesg_id=13387713
13387713, i hear everything your saying...those critiques and concerns are valid
Posted by Damali, Sun Jun-07-20 05:43 PM
i just don't agree that 'abolish the police' is scorched earth or doesn't center black lives when police brutality is exactly what folks are marching against...defunding and/or abolishing police could/would be a part of larger policy agenda depending on the city and how rotten its police force or policing policies are

i think all these conversations and nuance are important

local organizers all over america are doing a really good job in leveraging this moment...

i think its a little naive to think that all movements need to be aligned around one singular idea or catch phrase...this country is far too diverse than that

there is space for very specific and very broad agendas to operate concurrently...whether that's parallel or interesecting etc

again, i'm happy to see all of this energy..all of it. Change is ALWAYS messy and jagged. We have had this momentum for just over a week so its gonna take a bit of time for folks to coalesce around exactly what's needed in NYC vs. DC vs. LA vs ATL...

alotta folks have loud voices and the attention will shift from this voice to that voice...

all of that is better than silence.

d