Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectRE: I'll admit... the first thing I start to think is that a lot of
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13387435&mesg_id=13387506
13387506, RE: I'll admit... the first thing I start to think is that a lot of
Posted by Damali, Fri Jun-05-20 06:14 PM
>programmatic and training reforms that could improve policing
>would probably require "more" funding/investment, not less...

Not necessarily. Monies allocated for the hypermilitarization of police (military grade weapons, fortified SUVs & vans, riot gear etc) could be diverted toward programmatic and training reforms.

>Tbf, I'm not well-versed in this area at all, and would
>welcome being corrected/persuaded to a more comprehensive
>view. But I draw from what I've observed is often done to
>address disparities in other domains (eg. healthcare,
>education).

It's ok..the links I provided in the OP have alot of specific info. But policing can't be compared to healthcare and edcuation because the origin of policing is slave patrols and generally, white supremacy. Police forces operate in service of the ruling class...the wider the gap between the haves and the have nots, the more police are relied on. (LA, NYC, Chicago etc) Just look at who gets to weaponize the police against the masses and exactly how they do it...

>I wonder sometimes whether there's some conflation of policing
>issues with the military industrial complex in the discourse??

Yes, and its an appropriate overlap because of how the police use military equipment and tactics against the citizenry. its gotten worse and worse since the post-9/11 Patriot Act was signed into law and NYC (and other potential city targets) were able to access federal funds to help protect against a terrorist attack.

In addition, the police force feeds the prison industrial complex, as well. round up black men and women for minor offenses, railroad them into convictions, imprison them and hey look! cheap/free labor for private prisons and corporations

>There's painfully obvious intersection for sure, not denying
>that... but it does seem that solutions for each might/should
>need to be structured differently.

yes they're related but not identical...the important thing is that the ideas are even being seriously discussed/considered.

d