Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectMichael Jackson/Tevin Campbell
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13386967
13386967, Michael Jackson/Tevin Campbell
Posted by cloak323, Tue Jun-02-20 05:37 PM
Have you ever thought that Tevin sounds as least as good on 'Tomorrow' as Michael on (input song) at a similar age?
I have wondered on several occasions and I wouldn't look at a person sideways if he/she said so.
I'm fascinated by the talent of young Michael Jackson so I kinda dont wanna acknowledge that someone could compare to his vocal ability even though there's been plenty of talented kid vocalists.

..Or people have willingly admitted that the comparison is very close, if not as good.
13386992, i thgt he was poised to carry the baton...
Posted by mikediggz, Tue Jun-02-20 11:09 PM
great voice (definitely reminiscent of a young Mike), Q connection... he could have been the next one. not that he didnt have a decent career, but i thk he could have been the next ONE. he had the goods
13387013, RE: i thgt he was poised to carry the baton...
Posted by cloak323, Wed Jun-03-20 06:30 AM
When you say the next one, would you speculate that the record company didn't create a lane for him to reach that level or he lacked the drive/desire to do so? (Was he considered a pop star?)
13387067, great question and honestly im not really sure why...
Posted by mikediggz, Wed Jun-03-20 12:21 PM
seems the ball got dropped somehow. maybe he didnt have off the wall caliber songs (or the "right" songs)to propel him...i could never really place my finger on it

>When you say the next one, would you speculate that the
>record company didn't create a lane for him to reach that
>level or he lacked the drive/desire to do so? (Was he
>considered a pop star?)
>
13387070, lots of pitfalls for a young person to handle to make it in the music...
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed Jun-03-20 12:50 PM
industry.

For the good and the bad Michael did have Joe and "regurgitated all the way to the bank"
13387191, He was another victim of the industry
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Jun-04-20 08:48 AM
Dude had the pipes... but the industry pretty much went sexy time with it and Tevin didn’t have that in him. He was too clean.

I remember that Prince song and how they said Tevin was embarrassed to sing the lyrics. At his age there wasn’t anything wrong with that but I think we were entering a time when artist were taking more risk and singing about getting it in and Tevin had a clean sound.

Tevin was great for the bubble gum songs.. and those were dope but all those kid groups and teen sensations got lost in the shuffle once the industry went skinamax weitj the sound.

Can We Talk is still the shit.
13387297, This brought to mind Soul For Real
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Thu Jun-04-20 08:10 PM
>the bubble gum songs.. and those were dope
>but all those kid groups and teen sensations got lost in the
>shuffle once the industry went skinamax with the sound.
>
>Can We Talk is still the shit.

Candy Rain still the shit too.

Blackberry Molasses from Mista too. Ol Bobby left and got sexual with his sound as well.
13387307, Kissing Game was my shit
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Jun-04-20 09:44 PM
so many good songs by those kid groups but it’s like once they hit puberty it was a wrap.

Prolly had a lot to do with kids voices changing too.

13387328, Man I used to Running Man HOARD to RnB back then lol
Posted by Jonjuan, Fri Jun-05-20 06:07 AM

Did he just did this?

- J. Starks
13387396, Kissing Game is Hi-Five
Posted by CherNic, Fri Jun-05-20 11:18 AM
my bad...I love the fuck outta Hi Five and Tony Thompson had one of the BEST voices ever.

You mighta just been saying you liked the song and not attributing it to Soul For Real and if so...my bad!
13387398, that whole Mista album is flames...ONP did what they had to do
Posted by CherNic, Fri Jun-05-20 11:18 AM
13387299, this makes sense now that u mention it. i remember him having image...
Posted by mikediggz, Thu Jun-04-20 08:16 PM
issues and thats why. he didnt fit in with the sexy shit.

>Dude had the pipes... but the industry pretty much went sexy
>time with it and Tevin didn’t have that in him. He was too
>clean.
>
13387044, No. Mike at that age had a stage presence that has not been
Posted by Fishgrease, Wed Jun-03-20 09:38 AM
seen since. Like no kid has "it" and no kid since has had "it".

and keep in mind I still rock Tevin's first album weekly. I get that Quincy Jone's was trying to make Tevin the next young Mike but it was a far stretch.

Mike was an old soul.

13387047, RE: No. Mike at that age had a stage presence that has not been
Posted by cloak323, Wed Jun-03-20 10:02 AM
Agree.
I was keeping it strictly vocals. Besides that I know it’s no similarity.
13387069, i was going off vocals only as well. nvr be anothr mike pound for pound.
Posted by mikediggz, Wed Jun-03-20 12:22 PM
but i did like his energy in the tomorrow video. all smiles and seemed to love what he was doing. no stage fright in sight.

>Agree.
>I was keeping it strictly vocals. Besides that I know it’s
>no similarity.
13387092, Mike was a kid and seemed like he had been doing it for 20 years
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Wed Jun-03-20 02:15 PM

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"
13387187, It was/is a valid comparison. I think more competition for Tevin for one...
Posted by CherNic, Thu Jun-04-20 08:24 AM
It was MIKE. Damn a Osmond or Sylver or whatever.

A part of it was maybe Tevin's sound voice was too old for the sound? Also a few of those early 90s young artists just had strange careers....clearly talented but didn't POP. Similar to Shanice? Traci Spencer?

Also by his third album I feel like the young adult scene had exploded. And he was only 20, so not like he was old, but we had options...and Usher.
13387293, RE: It was/is a valid comparison. I think more competition for Tevin for one...
Posted by cloak323, Thu Jun-04-20 07:03 PM
Usher was what? 14 turning 15 when he recorded the first album.
Can U Get With It, The Many Ways
Man! some of the lyrics they had him singing.
Love those joints tho.