Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectYup, I think we're gonna be where we were mid-March in a month
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13385552&mesg_id=13388125
13388125, Yup, I think we're gonna be where we were mid-March in a month
Posted by Oak27, Tue Jun-09-20 11:26 AM
Gonna be REAL tough to try and get people on board to go backwards.

The quarantine/lockdowns did exactly what they were designed to do. Slow down the virus, "flatten the curve", etc. It was never going to completely defeat it. We were able to accomplish what we intended to do, even with groups of people (as well as local governments) going against science and going about business as usual.

But where does that leave us? Well, we could continue to live in this midway point between normal life and lockdown, but can we really convince people to go about that life for another 4-8 months? Doubtful. The people who are tired of this and want to get back to normal life see the results of the last few months and rather than recognize the effectiveness and relative success, see it as a failure and proof that quarantines/lockdowns don't work since Corona is still here (assuming they admit it's still an issue to begin with).

We've tested people's patience and people are ready to just move on and deal with repercussions of opening up America. I can't argue with them. As someone who hasn't had their job affected (I am at 100% employment and working from home with no issue), doesn't have to worry about feeding a family, etc I can't possibly know what life is like right now for the people who are really impacted by quarantine/lockdown.

Mentally I'm getting exhausted, but I'll live. I'm going to continue to avoid crowds/bars/etc until all of this passes but I get it.

I read somewhere that for herd immunity we need ~60% people with antibodies. Based on testing we've done we are at like 8%. We're not even close to ending this.