Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectKOTA the Friend - Everything
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13385025
13385025, KOTA the Friend - Everything
Posted by mista k5, Fri May-22-20 10:50 AM
definitely a stan but the album is also definitely dope.

under 38 minutes and i think there is a good variety of beats in it. love every song on it.

Long Beach is so dope
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_83KKDrggU

https://open.spotify.com/album/0cMxALtiABnT1kIuA1wgsQ?si=4J3GrgqjTmajG5zctNucIQ

Summerhouse
Mi Casa
B.Q.E.
Long Beach
Lupita's Interlude
Away Park
Volvo
Morocco
Seven (Interlude)
Always
Lakeith's Interlude
Everything
13385064, Thanks for making this its own post! I woulda missed it otherwise...
Posted by FLUIDJ, Fri May-22-20 12:06 PM

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"
13385088, for sure
Posted by mista k5, Fri May-22-20 12:40 PM
some albums definitely deserve their own posts
13385073, I'm gonna make an honest effort...
Posted by Dstl1, Fri May-22-20 12:20 PM
to get into dude's music, this weekend. My guy Snacks mentions him on Twitter, regularly. Gotta see what the deal is.
13385085, i would say this album would be a good first listen
Posted by mista k5, Fri May-22-20 12:38 PM
FOTO was great but its a lot longer and not a lot of variety.

Lyrics to go is only like 15 minutes but not sure i would count them as full songs.

This one is a good length with fully fleshed out songs and some variety. He produces the songs so its not just about his rapping.
13385748, Hope you like!
Posted by snacks, Wed May-27-20 09:19 AM
I agree w K5's post

I will always stan for Kota because his music came into my life at a time when I needed it and it was exactly what I needed to hear. You can tell he's been through some shit and kept his heart throughout it, and "Everything" feels like a happier tune for him (which is also what I needed to hear at the exact time)

But removing the emotional attachment, this is probably his most complete project to date and shows the most range IMO
13385764, im trying to temper myself but ive listened to it 5/6 times
Posted by mista k5, Wed May-27-20 10:13 AM
i obviously really like it. its really a project you can listen to in full and be satisfied. i loved foto but it was so long that i hardly went back to the full album. i definitely thought a lot of songs on foto were similar and could understand people not liking that.

this one has more range, its not drastic but there are definitely some different sounds through the album. you wont really mix up BQE or Long Beach with any of his other songs. there are a few that have the "same" sound as most of his music but hes just good at it. many of those have features too that help them stand out.

i was worried coming into the album that he would change the sound too much and it wouldnt work.

i think if someone had not checked him out before this would be a good album to start with. if they had checked him out and werent feeling him then this wont do much to change their mind.

im really hoping this gets him some shine as i like what hes doing, especially as an independent artist.

definitely curious to know what Dstl1 thought about it.
13385101, Word up. I was late and didn’t vibe off first listen of dude
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri May-22-20 01:28 PM
dude is nice with it tho.

13385122, great summer album!
Posted by spitfire, Fri May-22-20 02:36 PM
13385139, wrong post
Posted by Dstl1, Fri May-22-20 03:34 PM
13385294, listened to it a bunch yesterday, so good
Posted by wrecknoble, Sun May-24-20 11:38 AM
13385453, It’s a good album.
Posted by rob, Mon May-25-20 05:06 PM
Mi Casa is probably my favorite track after a few listens. Long Beach too. B.Q.E. is the song I wish I liked more.

I think I’m over interludes, and those were interesting people on the interludes, but it mostly fell flat.
13385561, the first time i heard mi casa?? wooo
Posted by mista k5, Tue May-26-20 12:06 PM
i think long beach is my clear favorite for now but someone on reddit mentioned it sounded like dang! by mac miller and anderson paak and i cant un hear it now lol

the first time i heard long beach i thought it sounded like a tribe song.

i didnt like BQE much the first time i heard it but each time i hear it i like it more and i think it really shines in the context of the album.

the interludes dont bother me but there not something i wanna go back to either. overall im starting to wish the album was a bit longer. no songs i skip.
13385623, good sounding album. not really my thing
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Tue May-26-20 03:48 PM
but if im trying to hit an aesthetic/vibe in the crib i'll put it on.
13385792, First Kota album that doesn't sound exactly the same, so that's a plus
Posted by Oak27, Wed May-27-20 12:38 PM
Really wanted to like FOTO more than I did, it just gets so repetitive after like 10 tracks. Lyrics to Go is at least a brief 15 mins so it's over before you start to notice, but once you start replaying it a few times it's hard to really tell what song is which. I have a few songs on a 2020 playlist and whenever they come on I really don't know what song I'm listening to (by title) until a hook comes in at the end.

So far EVERYTHING is my favorite project if only that it doesn't run into the same issue described above. Will give it a few more spins for sure, and it definitely came out at the right time, weather-wise.