Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectWord
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13384927&mesg_id=13384965
13384965, Word
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Fri May-22-20 12:41 AM
>...but reality is what they need...And I’ve just retired
>fantasy part”, I think it was right before “Adam Lives in
>Theory”.
>
>I guess what I’m getting at is sure retiring from the
>fantasy part is not always looking perfectly on trend fashion
>wise with the perfectly manicured hair, the Lauryn with the
>cute outfits and perfect locs has been replaced by a natural
>and wear old lady clothes to try to have people focus on I
>don’t know the music I guess? And not her fashion choices
>because that’s fantasy?

What always comes to mind for me was when she was talking about holding your belly in and finally saying 'fuck it' and just relaxing and letting it poke out a lil bit lol. That and the part about being at Disney World where it's all pretty in the front while you having people slaving in the back in harsh conditions.

>If that’s what she was just rocking with fine.
>
>But the three hours late to gigs, sounding very unrehearsed,
>and just starting to be very unprofessional when it comes to
>live shows, that’s not as easily explained away by just
>dropping the fantasy part.
>
>That’s some deeper and more problematic thing and that’s
>what I’m trying to figure out.

I totally get what you mean. I used to wonder if there was something done to her after that speech she gave at the Vatican.
The whole being 3 hrs late and stuff is really hard to explain.

>And no before someone tries to explain it as such lol, it’s
>not as simple as “she is displaying the reality of being 3
>hours late for a gig, that’s her truth let her live in it”
>lol.

Lol. I mean, I guess that *could* be part of her idea of breaking out of the confines of social norms, since that's literally what it would be. If the idea is doing things for herself and not keeping other people happy, she's doing a great job at the 2nd part. It could go really deep, back to some childhood trauma and spending her whole life trying to please other people. Maybe that's what made her great in the first place, in the vein of a Michael Jackson. Who knows.
It's like when ppl are trying to stop caring what others think, so they just do any wild thing that will make ppl look a them crazy, just as a way of thickening their skin. I figure maybe she's just totally disregarding whatever would please others as a way of getting comfortable with how that feels, b/c maybe she never knew what it felt like to think of herself first. Just hope she finds peace and can "Come Back To The Middle" as India.Arie put it.