Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectIf you hung with 14 year olds, just go with that
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13384397&mesg_id=13384726
13384726, If you hung with 14 year olds, just go with that
Posted by Walleye, Wed May-20-20 08:07 AM
>last time I ran a 200 seriously, I beat most of the 14 yr old
>boys. maybe they're slow? lol.

If they're even moderately athletic, I'd consider this a monumental victory on your part. Even more so if you could walk the next day, because that was the first big obstacle for me. I started coaching cross country when I was 33 and actually got into decent shape for the job, the reasoning being that I didn't have any idea how to coach so I could at least run with them and help that way. Went okay for a season, pretty much the last actual fast stuff I really did (though no racing) but then the next one I found that I could still jump into a workout and mix it up with the kids, but if I did then that was all for me for the week. Next two or three days were hobbling around the house.

>mind you I never ran track for real. I'm actually learning
>because my kids run. so I'm picking up stuff as I'm getting
>some exercise in. since I'm at the track while they practice,
>I might as well get something done too.

May as well indeed. I love it when parents get some work in during our practices. The hardest part of our season is convincing them to run during the off-seasons, so when parents run also that's usually some of the most explicit hope that we get that the kid will get out once and awhile in the summer.

Which is actually starting again. I've got a team ZOOM meeting today to get the kids prepared for cross country in the fall. I'm hoping that a few of them realize that running is one of the few normal-ish things they're allowed to do right now, so maybe a few of them will seize the opportunity and hit the roads for some real mileage this summer.