Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectYeah, imagining a sprint start is tough
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13384397&mesg_id=13384724
13384724, Yeah, imagining a sprint start is tough
Posted by Walleye, Wed May-20-20 08:00 AM
>Pretty sure I would
>run so fast at the start, that I would : a) quickly blow one
>or both hamstrings
>b) cook myself before I figure out a pace
>c) loose my timing and fall (it's very hard to run top speed
>for an extended time)

I used to have actual race plans, now I do exactly what you're describing. You can account for one or two of these things, but accounting for all of them *and* running fast at my age is pretty much impossible. I settled for a very slow first 20-30m (a), then tried to focus on achieving a form and cadence I wanted (b) rather than a speed I wanted because of (c). And (c) stayed a factor anyhow. You can see in the video that I actually check my watch around 100m because I had no frame of reference for how fast I had already gone and whether that effort could be continued for the rest of the race.

My biggest takeaway is that - and I'm aware that this sounds like bullshit but worrying about destroying my body with a hard start was a serious concern - I could have run 2-3 full seconds faster if I were permitted a jogging start.

>Several years ago, I was at a high school track. This was
>back when I thought I was really serious about running
>intervals for cardio. I sprint the straight and jog the
>turns. I had stopped for a break and there was a guy on the
>other side of the track. He and I were the only two people
>there. He started where you would start for the 100m. He
>even got down and mocked coming out of blocks. He took
>off...and was running (at least appeared to be) very fast.
>Out of nowhere, his entire form came apart and he fell to the
>ground, chest-first in an exaggerated flying pose. I felt so
>bad. I didn't know whether to run over there and help him, or
>act like I didn't see it. I chose the latter.

Oh nooooooooooooooooo. I think you chose correctly. I'm putting myself in his shoes right now and unless I need urgent medical attention, I am DEEPLY grateful for any plausibility you can lend to the idea that nobody saw.