Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectIt's The Artists They're Picking Not The Number Of Songs The Problem
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13384290&mesg_id=13384373
13384373, It's The Artists They're Picking Not The Number Of Songs The Problem
Posted by Dj Joey Joe, Mon May-18-20 12:47 AM
What I see is a greatest hits battle between artists, and usually one of the artists has more hits while the other has a better catalog.

With Jill, to me she has better albums I can listen to from beginning to end but with Erykah I can only listen to her singles and a few songs off each album but not entire albums.

With Ludacris, he's got better music than anything Nelly has done, but Nelly has more pop appeal but among hip-hop listeners Luda has the best songs regardless if it was a hit or not (except I couldn't tell you one song off his last two albums to save my life).

With the Teddy vs. Babyface, clearly Teddy has gigantic hits and has dominated the new jack swing and radio for over 30 years but Babyface written & produced some big hits too but almost all of them are slow jams & ballads, and of course his own songs; but c'mon who can compete with one of the most popular rap songs in history "The Show" by Doug E. Fresh & Slick Rick, Ted will forever be a legend.

With RZA vs. Dj Premier, to me Dj Premier could've played songs he has produced up to year 2000 and still have more bangers while RZA only has a short window of hits but Wu-Tang has a world wide fan base bigger than most of the songs Dj Premier has produced which the average rap listener probably only knows a tenth of Primo's catalog; but how many of RZA's songs are entirely produced by him even though it's still an impressive resume in that short time when he produced & executive produced 11 albums in a five year span without all of them not sounding the same, Premier couldn't do that feat if he tried.

What I'm saying is if they choose battles between artists who have a decent enough list of songs to go thru 20 songs then it's worth it but just because someone got a few hits and it's well known doesn't mean they need to be in these "Versez Battles" but personally I don't like these battles, they're quite boring.

Like Joe Budden said on SOTC once, I rather see battles between producers with them playing new beats, not artists playing their hit songs.