Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectDoes anyone's relatives/friends thing it's a scam?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13384226
13384226, Does anyone's relatives/friends thing it's a scam?
Posted by handle, Fri May-15-20 09:54 PM
My aunt think it's man made, that if she gets it she won't get too sick, and that's it's all a scam.

Yes, she's white and watches Fox news all day.
13384228, Yes
Posted by Fire1986, Fri May-15-20 10:18 PM
They believe it's not a big deal at all When they hear about the economic effects, they shrug. Too abstract to conceptualize.

But they also doubt:

the moon landing
the Earth's roundness
the ability of one race to transport another race using ships
dinosaurs
current us demographics (i.e., blacks are under counted so that they never realize they're actually the majority in the country)

I used to think this kind of thinking was rare, but I fear it's widespread and more visible thanks to the Internet.
13384248, Wait... they don’t believe slavery happened?
Posted by legsdiamond, Sat May-16-20 07:53 AM
13384268, They do not.
Posted by Fire1986, Sat May-16-20 03:47 PM
Well, sometimes, if they're around other people who read, or just who've been outside the neighborhood we all grew up in, they'll try and switch it up and say the "Middle Passage is overblown".

They believe Native Americans are a myth and that most if not all of the people here before Columbus were actually our African ancestors and that the slave trade would have been logistically impossible because "the enslaved would have starved because the food would have spoiled on such a long trip".

13384308, Where are these people?
Posted by legsdiamond, Sun May-17-20 12:17 PM
Just want to make sure I avoid them.. smh.
13384547, send the batsignal
Posted by infin8, Tue May-19-20 09:13 AM
just do this:

#WhereAreTheBoats?

on IG and they will FLOCK to your DM's.
13384908, RE: They do not.
Posted by Original Juice, Thu May-21-20 03:35 PM
>Well, sometimes, if they're around other people who read, or
>just who've been outside the neighborhood we all grew up in,
>they'll try and switch it up and say the "Middle Passage is
>overblown".
>
>They believe Native Americans are a myth and that most if not
>all of the people here before Columbus were actually our
>African ancestors and that the slave trade would have been
>logistically impossible because "the enslaved would have
>starved because the food would have spoiled on such a long
>trip".
>
>
>

Have they claimed their Moorish American nationality?
13384949, Not yet.
Posted by Fire1986, Thu May-21-20 10:15 PM
They’re still connecting the dots I suppose.

The push to prove “I got Indian in my family” is really big here (CA) in general. People believe smooth skin is enough proof to claim tribal identity.

It’s likely a result of the education system. Not enough early emphasis on critical thinking. I attended the neighborhood school with them for a semester before transferring. The teacher told my parents the place was a holding tank and to run.

Currently, everyone’s become a hood epidemiologist overnight claiming they know the source of COVID-19 after extensive research (one video) from YouTube.
13384230, I don’t remember seeing so much anti-Bill Gates talk.
Posted by JFrost1117, Fri May-15-20 10:59 PM
My fam in NC will FB share some shit from a website I KNOW can’t be from America.
13384243, legit weird, people worried about Bill gates, or even weirder, Fauci
Posted by Mynoriti, Sat May-16-20 02:56 AM
but so many of these same people have convinced themselves Donald Trump cares about them and is looking out for their best interest.

Donald Trump
13384231, I cut people off pretty fast when they get on some weirdo shit
Posted by Rjcc, Fri May-15-20 11:39 PM
so my circle is very self-selected to people who do not do conspiracies or even wild skepticism.

been on family zoom calls and whatnot and everyone seems to be on a normal page (probably seen some youtube videos recommending you bleach your groceries or whatever, but not going off the fucking deep end)

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
13384242, not straight "it's a scam" but people who def think it's overblown
Posted by Mynoriti, Sat May-16-20 02:47 AM
mentioned this in another post. they take things like hospitals here not being overwhelmed as a sign shelter in place isn't necessary, while ignoring how all these measures we're taking are the only reason hospitals aren't overwhelmed.

a couple pussies who are whining about masks,and the occasional 5G meme with the hmm emoji, but for the most part people i know have taken this seriously if anything, due to at risk family members

even some Trumpsters i know have been pretty quiet because they know too many people affected personally.

but def lots of friends of friends who are full on its all a hoax dumbfucks.
13384250, The virus isn't a scam, but there is some scamming going on
Posted by flipnile, Sat May-16-20 08:16 AM
Crazy how fast folks went from "Occupy!" to trusting the .gov and the 1% to do the right thing.
13384948, But government was the ones who were slow to act
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu May-21-20 09:56 PM
I didn’t believe any of this shit was serious until they cancelled March Madness

Once they cancelled the tournament I knew shit was real.

and you were spot on wit your prediction to stock up on supplies.
13384252, Not a scam, but plenty of the “it’s way overblown”
Posted by DJR, Sat May-16-20 09:07 AM
“It’s a glorified flu.” That kind of stuff. I’ve tried really hard to bite my tongue and just kind of finesse them into learning at least a few things. Attack mode doesn’t work, everybody just gets their guard up and digs in their heels.
13384254, lol yep! My mom just said to me yesterday that she watched the
Posted by SuiteLady, Sat May-16-20 10:18 AM
movie Contagion with Matt Damon and was like "were they giving us a hint that they were about to do this to us."

I didn't even waste my time question the "they" and "do this to us." I just picked up my glass of wine and took a big gulp.
13384273, My aunt sounds like a gang member talking about death
Posted by handle, Sat May-16-20 06:41 PM
She's all like "When it's your time to die you gonna die!"

And I'm like "Just stay home and it won't be your time to die."

She's like "Need to get that money!"

And I'm like "Maybe we could figure out a way where that could be less of a concern while this is going on."

She's like "If I can't see my peoples then I'd rather die."

And I'm like "After 2 months? And if you do see them you're likely to give them the disease before you die too? or worse if they give to to you and then you die and they live they have to live with that guilt??"

But her mind is GONE.

She's listening to Hannity on the radio.
13384304, No, but several of my restaurant's regulars are showing their asses
Posted by Nodima, Sun May-17-20 12:01 PM
One guy was in the retail side of our shop ranting about how this never would have happened in the 60s, we'd have just got naked as we pleased, taken out our guitars, posted up our protest signs and gotten the hell on with life.

Another BCC'd our executive chef into an email chain about the Plandemic "documentary" with no explanation just the link in the body and the subject line "Important...please pass along".

Some city officials have been in for "happy hour" (we don't offer that currently, so we just give them even cheaper wine than they normally get so it still works out to $5 a glass) and joked that I could take the mask and gloves off around them, they know the drill. Like, what?

A couple people have sat down, then got up and left after explaining to them why I wear the mask and gloves, why we are only printing food menus then asking for drink preferences / requiring food to be ordered before offering alcoholic beverages, etc. Others have just plain opened with, "Hey, you're kind of scaring us, could you just take that stuff off?"

MOST people have been very cool, and especially most regulars, but after two months of basically living in a bubble of managing takeout/delivery orders while the streets are empty outside then going immediately home to a dark apartment and bottle of whiskey, it's been wild A) how quickly downtown filled back up with people and B) how immediately some people expect things to be completely normal because the Governor said restaurants and parks can re-open.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz
13384517, What city are you in?
Posted by KiloMcG, Mon May-18-20 09:31 PM
13384309, I would like to believe it’s mostly white folk thinking this way
Posted by legsdiamond, Sun May-17-20 12:19 PM
and some of my Black folk who never moved away from home.
13384325, I know a lot of people who think it’s ok to have “gatherings”...
Posted by ThaTruth, Sun May-17-20 04:39 PM
as long as it’s less that 10 people
13384521, now imagine how fucked we would be if zombies were real.
Posted by double negative, Mon May-18-20 10:42 PM
remember a few years back the CDC made news for proposing how to handle a zombie apocalypse? this was during peak walking dead.

I've just been thinking how on one hand there has been a collective nerd boner for zombies and how much of a fucking disaster it would be if zombies were real suddenly.

the president would deny it or try to pass it off on China

right wingers would say it was all a democratic power grab

the right extreme dummies would say zombie-ism could be cured by drinking silver water

or bleach

UGH.
13384522, Someone on NextDoor says this is how we go extinct.
Posted by JFrost1117, Mon May-18-20 11:26 PM
13384549, Luckily no, but my brother doesn't think it'll be too bad
Posted by walihorse, Tue May-19-20 09:24 AM
his job depends on things being open, so he is upset, but he isn't risking himself.

13384555, Do you PERSONALLY KNOW someone with it? mmmmmkayyyy then
Posted by Amritsar, Tue May-19-20 10:03 AM
13384653, have you ever SEEN somebody from Mars? Case closed.
Posted by hardware, Tue May-19-20 02:42 PM
13384558, how about folks who are happy, gleefully estatic about this virus
Posted by lsymone, Tue May-19-20 10:19 AM
overheard a guy in March who said "its about damn time these white folks start dying off" only to realize its his group that was being taken off the planet (he's middle aged black man with type 1 diabetes)

and dont let me get started on the nutty christians who still had services during the pandemic and preaching to the flock about this virus is God's Revenge on the godless.

also the earthbearers who are happy that their Mother is being healed and the animals are roaming wild and free....they want half if not more 7 billion people off this planet.

cant forget racist white folks are so happy a virus is killing black and brown folks that they've tried relentlessly thru other means to take out.

13384572, Next door neighbors
Posted by Marbles, Tue May-19-20 10:53 AM

There's always a steady stream of people in & out of their house. They have aunts, uncles, cousins, friends, etc. over there all the time. No big deal. But once the quarantine was put in place, none of that stopped or even slowed down. They consistently have various people coming thru, day & night.

And they keep trying to tell us that the government created this hoax and it's not real. They're not scared & they're gonna keep living their lives. They believe that the summer heat (90 degrees or higher) will kill the virus.