Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectAll my jobs are in very inflexible institutions...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13383747&mesg_id=13383765
13383765, All my jobs are in very inflexible institutions...
Posted by Walleye, Wed May-13-20 10:37 AM
... that basically manage their entire existence around the fear of getting sued. Which is to say: three colleges and an extremely wealthy private high school. The kind of funny thing about it is that if you asked me a year ago what my least favorite thing, structurally, about where I work I would have complained:

a)huge institutions have no ability to act nimbly
b)so many of my decisions and actions are conditioned by liability concerns

Now, what that effectively means is that plans have to be made looking 3-4 months in the future because nobody wants to drastically change the mode of instruction mid-semester like we did this spring and even though my bosses don't give the slightest shit about my well-being, getting kids (young adults really) sick would mean getting sued into oblivion.

So, except that I have very little job security as an adjunct and could find my classes (and therefore, my money) dry up quickly if the enrollment is less than their already-low expectations, it's ironically a pretty good work situation.

The takeaway is that I can expect to be doing my job from home at least into August.