Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI struggled with managing both vertically and horizontally until my
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13382301&mesg_id=13382321
13382321, I struggled with managing both vertically and horizontally until my
Posted by soulfunk, Tue May-05-20 03:48 PM
department moved to an agile structure. I manage a team of consultants, so we aren't a development team, but we adopted the same type of agile structure and cadence that the development staff from our company use.

For my first few years in management I had a team of 25-30 direct reports which was too much for me to really balance everything. I had too many staff to get into the weeds with individuals, which meant I had to delegate projects for people to lead without us actually having a structure to support horizontal management.

With the move to agile now I have three squads that report to me, each with their own squad leader (which is a rotating role). Each squad has 6-10 staff, so they are essentially their own mini-teams. I work with the squad leaders on defining sprint goals, and the squads work with each other on assigning tasks, reporting out on progress, reviewing their work, giving each other feedback, etc. I still have a large number of directs, but I can be way less hands on now, and they all feel much more empowered.