Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectGhostwriting matters in lyrical debates regardless of sex tho right?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13380770&mesg_id=13381025
13381025, Ghostwriting matters in lyrical debates regardless of sex tho right?
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Tue Apr-28-20 05:51 AM
>(eg. in that Still DRE v. BTAU post folks talked
>about Jay writing Dre's verses like its no big deal), but
>*only* with female artists is it used to discredit their
>entire existence. It's annoying.

The Still Dre vs BTAU post wasn't about who was the better lyricist. It was solely about what was the more legendary club song overall. Absolutely nobody puts Dre in the best lyricist conversation, precisely *because* we all know he didn't write his own rhymes, so that applies to men as much as to women. Same goes for Puff. Biz Markie's "Goin Off" and "Vapors" are a testament to Kane's lyrical greatness and Markie's personality & delivery. Only recently have I seen someone like Drake get a pass, but I guess that's sign of changing times... and the fact that some claim it's just chorus help, and this generation don't really care about lyrics in general, etc.

>Always some unsubstantiated decades old rumor like something
>something Big wrote all Kim's shit something somethin Jay
>wrote all Foxy's shit something someting Wyclef wrote all
>Lauryn's shit. It's like the baseline assumption is supposed
>to be women are fundamentally incapable of writing and
>delivering dope rhymes.

Anybody saying Wyclef wrote Lauryn's rhymes is on some pure misogyny lol. Wyclef was never half as dope as Lauryn on his own OR in the group w/ her. "If you read the the magazines it says the girl shoulda went solo." Andre 3k used to write Big Boi's raps in Outkast's early days and you can tell. He's also widely considered a better rapper than Big Boi. I'd sooner believe Lauryn wrote Clef's rhymes than the other way around. I never heard anybody say this, but maybe it's because ppl know how I'd react lol. If this is a popular opinion, then it at least proves a point of people discrediting female emcees.

>I think it's safe to say the game just is what it is and all
>but the very few get put on/assisted by somebody at some
>point.

Maybe. I don't wanna discredit anyone who actually has written all their own rhymes tho.