Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectAs of 4/20/20, what is your employment status?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13379459
13379459, As of 4/20/20, what is your employment status?
Posted by Damali, Wed Dec-31-69 07:00 PM
I'm curious as to how this has all affected us work wise...

i'm still getting my full salary, but not sure for how much longer...

d

Poll question: As of 4/20/20, what is your employment status?

Poll result (75 votes)
I'm still getting paid from my pre-covid job full salary (58 votes)Vote
I'm still getting paid from my pre-covid job, but hours/pay have been cut. (9 votes)Vote
I was laid off from job once the virus hit. still unemployed (3 votes)Vote
i was laid off from job post COVID but found a new one (2 votes)Vote
i was already unemployed pre COVID and i'm still unemployed (3 votes)Vote
i was unemployed pre COVID but started working afterward (0 votes)Vote

13379462, I was furloughted basically
Posted by josephmurf2384, Sun Apr-19-20 01:31 AM
claiming unemployment until the gigs pick back up.
13379463, furloughed a few weeks ago
Posted by Mynoriti, Sun Apr-19-20 01:43 AM
just exhausted my vacation time so i applied for unemployment

13379476, still working.. wife furloughed though.
Posted by My_SP1200_Broken_Again, Sun Apr-19-20 08:12 AM
13379481, Working and getting paid as normal. Just 100% working from home
Posted by blkprinceMD05, Sun Apr-19-20 09:02 AM
And unless the federal govt and specifically my agency collapse anytime soon, I doubt I miss even a red cent of my pay during this. I’m grateful for sure. Praying for those not in my shoes tho.
13379535, RE: Working and getting paid as normal. Just 100% working from home
Posted by BlakStaar, Sun Apr-19-20 02:39 PM
Same.

My previous job was in real estate and sports and entertainment. That whole industry is shot right now so I’m glad I have a seemingly stable government job.
13379485, Full pay and wfh as usual
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Sun Apr-19-20 09:41 AM
Kind of surprised actually but I guess that’s why they went OD aggressive with staff cuts when this corona stuff first started bubbling up in the news
13379490, Both of us are still WFH
Posted by legsdiamond, Sun Apr-19-20 10:13 AM
Wife lost her side gig but thankfully we both have our salary positions.

13379496, Just came from Aldi
Posted by Cam, Sun Apr-19-20 10:29 AM
It was full of Instacart shoppers for the most part.
They're also actively hiring Stockers, at $15 an hour.
Then a young Brother, in the Safeway parking lot next door, was hustling 2-for-$15 specials...boxes of Mucinex.
I'm suddenly keeping track of all ways to make ends meet.
& have been listening to this pod too:
http://inthesetimes.com/features/working-people-podcast.html
13379509, Stringing together temporary contract jobs, lost two
Posted by Walleye, Sun Apr-19-20 11:56 AM
Puts me into a hole going into the summer, which is typically when fewer adjunct jobs are available. I might be good, as I got a couple new classes offered this week but they're pretty tentative since enrollment could be a lot worse than the already "quite bad" that the schools that hire me are projecting.

Definitely not as bad as it could be. Still a bit nerve-wracking if you don't know when the bottom is.
13379512, I work in grocery and warehousing
Posted by MEAT, Sun Apr-19-20 12:10 PM
Two years ago I wanted to get myself into a recession proof field. That even as automation picked up I could buttress myself with translatable experience in any country on this planet.
13379516, Besides exclusively WFH, nada's changed & don't expect it will
Posted by Oak27, Sun Apr-19-20 12:52 PM
::finger's crossed emoji::
13379517, my wife and I both currently work from home , and work overtime at that.
Posted by Cold Truth, Sun Apr-19-20 01:10 PM
She works for unemployment, and I work for public social services, doing medi-cal and SNAP.

I'm exceedingly grateful. We are as well positioned to get through a situation like this as anyone living paycheck to paycheck.
13379524, I thought yall were headed for the divorce. Called it off?
Posted by MEAT, Sun Apr-19-20 01:34 PM
Not to be in your business like that, but I'm all up in your business like that at the moment.
13379536, separated and living together. Divorce has never been a serious discussion.
Posted by Cold Truth, Sun Apr-19-20 03:13 PM
We separated, got back together, and separated again because nothing at all changed.

It's not perfect, or even ideal, but it's an arrangement that works. Our family knit remains intact, and we're both taking care of household business as a unit.

Of the options available to this point, this is the best available option to provide the best possible quality of life for us and our two children, for the forseeable future.

Nothing homered that point home for me like this shutdown did. Our earning power has returned to where we would have been before everything went to financially, and now that we're finally in the black with some room to stretch, so to speak, we're content to keep that momentum for now.
13379539, Stay strong, survive.
Posted by MEAT, Sun Apr-19-20 03:36 PM
13379551, I have a friend that's in a similar situation
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Sun Apr-19-20 07:13 PM
He was married for some time (even had a daughter) but they divorced at some point and now live together in the home they built together.

To their credit they make it work. They seem to communicate well enough and even through their banter, it's easy to see they really have a deep bond and affection for one another.

Kind of wish more couples had that base level of respect for each other and the role they played in each other's lives.
13379518, temporary unpaid leave due to shut down - UI eligible, job status retained
Posted by cgonz00cc, Sun Apr-19-20 01:21 PM
13379526, still employed.
Posted by tariqhu, Sun Apr-19-20 01:47 PM
my job doesn't directly rely on sales money coming in. plus I'm salaried, so my hours won't change. hopefully I'll be good through this.

my wife's not working. but this was pre-corona. she's in the construction biz, so I doubt she'll be working anytime soon.
13379527, I'm full pay - my friend had to take a cut
Posted by handle, Sun Apr-19-20 02:16 PM
His employer had a 5% across the board salary reduction BUT has kept everyone employed.

He's fine with it.

13379528, working with a 20% cut in salary. wife is furloughed.
Posted by PROMO, Sun Apr-19-20 02:18 PM
my manager seemed to mention that our pay cut might end after 4 weeks. if so, it wouldn't be too big of a hit, and the wife will actually be "making" more than she was before assuming the $600 extra in unemployment comes like it's supposed to.
13379530, Red
Posted by Amritsar, Sun Apr-19-20 02:19 PM
In Ed tech. Hate to say this but it’s been good for the company
13379531, Lack of love for bernie here making more sense
Posted by fif, Sun Apr-19-20 02:23 PM
13379533, RE: Lack of love for bernie here making more sense
Posted by BlakStaar, Sun Apr-19-20 02:31 PM
LOL. Methinks a lot of people on OKP are 35+ and made to much to receive stimulus checks.
13379538, Basically
Posted by legsdiamond, Sun Apr-19-20 03:34 PM
What’s crazy tho is Bernie won the vote early in running away on OKP.

Thing is.. I think OKP’s want to be more progressive than they actually are... or maybe it’s due to getting older and making more money and being more practical.

Never thought I would hear “how will he get anything passed” on this board like in the last 2 months.

Talk about a Fox News talking point.
13379726, call it what you want but what's the answer?
Posted by Mynoriti, Mon Apr-20-20 03:27 PM
can't beat the most hated woman in politics, or the creepy dementia guy because the media and DNC have its thumb on the scale

but he can somehow overhaul the US healthcare system even though he's gonna face at least 20 times that level of opposition

that said, i didn't think he could do it in '16 either but i voted for him anyway, and i'd have done it again if i legit thought he could beat Trump.

>Never thought I would hear “how will he get anything
>passed” on this board like in the last 2 months.
>
>Talk about a Fox News talking point.
13379740, there's no real answer.
Posted by tariqhu, Mon Apr-20-20 04:13 PM
folks don't really like full scale change and would rather stick to what we're used to. folks are happier to slightly move the needle to one side or the other. that way is doesn't mean upheaval for their daily lives. even those that are at the bottom of the totem pole.

we all see this at work when the company wants to do something new. there's a lot of resistance even if the changes will benefit the employees and the company.

13379786, there are a bunch of answers
Posted by Rjcc, Mon Apr-20-20 10:52 PM
most of them just don't feel heroic and appealing.

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
13379540, How so? Because I voted for that dude in the 16 primaries
Posted by MEAT, Sun Apr-19-20 03:38 PM
And I would’ve again if he had AT ALL pivoted to a “black and brown people are the most vulnerable” strategy as opposed to the rising boat rhetoric that was more apt in 2015-2016

His 2020 platform was basically “all folks suffer”
13379546, My criticism is aimed at the campaign itself
Posted by Amritsar, Sun Apr-19-20 05:00 PM
folks like Briahna or Faiz. Never Bernie's policies. Not once.

Since his defeat, it has also morphed into a frustration at the supporters hard-headedness; and grifter industry eating off and feeding into the climate.

13379572, how so? just curious
Posted by Damali, Sun Apr-19-20 09:53 PM
d
13379588, RE: how so? just curious
Posted by fif, Mon Apr-20-20 01:35 AM
Ehh it was a snide comment. I don't mean to be going at anyone. And there are a ton of factors that go into the results so to reduce it to class is simplistic and possibly just wrong. Could be 25 garbagemen going red.

I try to avoid arguing about much on here but I've worked 3 days in the last two weeks. the $1200 will get May rent paid but after that--touch and go. And i know a lot of people completely out of jobs many of whom were already in precarious housing situations. Forget about having healthcare lol. I haven't been to a doctor in ten years. I've made some bad decisions thatve landed me where I am but eg the early 20s guys I work with are ass out of the thriving-in-america boat through absolutely no fault of their own. And to them and me Bernie is so damn obvious. Just some Bros in a bubble. To be fair most all of my closest well to do office warrior (now full-pay WFH) people are Bernie backers as well. So yea I was saddened that okp (and the nation) didn't coalesce around him. might speak to, as legs said, where people are in life. A lot of people here are doing well, being grown, raising kids--which is great, congrats to one and all. But possibly that success and those responsibilities make people susceptible to a pseudo-pragmatism that shrinks the dream, misses the zeitgeist and lands us with an uninspiring candidate in cognitive decline
13379612, definitely appreciate your vulnerability and honesty
Posted by Damali, Mon Apr-20-20 09:08 AM
>Ehh it was a snide comment. I don't mean to be going at
>anyone. And there are a ton of factors that go into the
>results so to reduce it to class is simplistic and possibly
>just wrong. Could be 25 garbagemen going red.

thanks for saying that...i assumed it was snark, but wanted to hear you out in case it wasn't.

>I try to avoid arguing about much on here but I've worked 3
>days in the last two weeks. the $1200 will get May rent paid
>but after that--touch and go. And i know a lot of people
>completely out of jobs many of whom were already in precarious
>housing situations. Forget about having healthcare lol. I
>haven't been to a doctor in ten years. I've made some bad
>decisions thatve landed me where I am but eg the early 20s
>guys I work with are ass out of the thriving-in-america boat
>through absolutely no fault of their own. And to them and me
>Bernie is so damn obvious. Just some Bros in a bubble. To be
>fair most all of my closest well to do office warrior (now
>full-pay WFH) people are Bernie backers as well. So yea I was
>saddened that okp (and the nation) didn't coalesce around him.
>might speak to, as legs said, where people are in life. A lot
>of people here are doing well, being grown, raising
>kids--which is great, congrats to one and all. But possibly
>that success and those responsibilities make people
>susceptible to a pseudo-pragmatism that shrinks the dream,
>misses the zeitgeist and lands us with an uninspiring
>candidate in cognitive decline

I completely get where you're going here, but your analysis (as well as so many others I've seen concerning him) is still very binary.

You're basically saying, people that didn't support Bernie are either "this" or "that"...you are dismissing the intellectual capacity of so many people. Your overemphasizing class while ignoring race and gender. (are you white? just wondering)

I quite simply am tired of old white men running the country. Period. Every amount of energy for Bernie should have been put toward Elizabeth Warren & Kamala Harris, but patriarchy & racism is the lay of the land.

I want a liberal woman in the oval office. Bernie never inspired me. It's time for the next generation to lead..its time for a different leadership style to be at the forefront. And AGAIN we won't get that.

Trump is an existential threat so i'm all in for Biden, but still...i'm pissed. fuck this hellhole.

d
13379627, You approached that much kinder that I would like to.
Posted by MEAT, Mon Apr-20-20 09:57 AM
I see these specious arguments and I just start to see red. The system is still fundamentally racist and sexist and propping up another system that's also fundamentally racist and sexist but has the temerity to deny those are even ills ... fucking hell.

I agree with all of his policies, but I laugh at the contingency that believes that enough of Americans of any political persuasion want equality for all and that the Sanders campaign and supporters seem more than willing to make human concessions for the illusion of equality is WAY grosser in 2020 than it already was in 2016.

13379746, who here do you think voted for biden man
Posted by Rjcc, Mon Apr-20-20 05:08 PM
this is the whole issue.

bernie's campaign tells you everyone is against you, when it's not true but you buy it because it's what you want to hear.

13379748, oh for fucks sake...enough
Posted by Stadiq, Mon Apr-20-20 05:22 PM

Bernie should have ran a better campaign.

Dude had 4 years to broaden his coalition.

4 years to win over black folks, women, etc.

4 years to learn how to play the game a little IN ORDER TO WIN

I would support his policies if I made 500 million because I'm not a selfish asshole.

I'm furious that he (and Warren btw) didn't run a smarter campaign that broadened support.

I'm mad Bernie didn't play kingmaker for a better/younger/female candidate. That was the "movement's" smartest play. Not me us and all that shit.

Questioning his campaign, his movement, and his ability as a candidate to win people over does not mean someone was against Bernie's policies because they are doing ok in life.

Log off twitter man. Not everything is us vs them type thinking.

Like someone said, there were very, very, very few Biden fans on OKP.

I got snide too. I'm tired of seeing Bernie supporters assuming the worst in people (even fellow leftists) because some of us dared to talk about the nuts and bolts of how he would deliver on his promises and, more importantly, have dared to do a little reflection on how the left failed so miserably in the DEMOCRATIC primary to even make it a contest.

13379745, ....pretty sure most people here supported bernie
Posted by Rjcc, Mon Apr-20-20 05:07 PM

13379747, these fragile spirits think criticizing/questioning the Bernie campaign
Posted by Stadiq, Mon Apr-20-20 05:12 PM

= full on Biden loving neolib moderate.

Nah. A lot of us are pissed he and/or Warren lost.

Not sure why this is so hard to grasp.

And they are getting REALLY creative in bringing up Bernie. This is a thread about employment lol lol
13379754, watching them pivot to "I didn't support the man, I supported the policies"
Posted by Rjcc, Mon Apr-20-20 06:44 PM
is incredibly interesting

considering those people spent the last year arguing that simply supporting the policies wasn't enough unless you supported the man at expense of all others.

13379542, been working from home...still working from home
Posted by tomjohn29, Sun Apr-19-20 04:30 PM
13379543, ^ yep
Posted by Amritsar, Sun Apr-19-20 04:54 PM
welcoming everybody to the party lol
13379544, Red.
Posted by Shaun Tha Don, Sun Apr-19-20 04:56 PM
13379591, WFH...same hours, same pay
Posted by Dstl1, Mon Apr-20-20 04:42 AM
13379608, Red. Did get notice that our 401Ks aren't being matched anymore :/
Posted by CherNic, Mon Apr-20-20 08:52 AM
I work in the live entertainment industry so shit is definitely not sweet but our company's been doing a very good job of being transparent and keeping us informed. They mentioned potential furloughs and paycuts

Also, got furloughed from my PT job. That won't hurt too bad but still...not ideal
13379613, Red but I’ve started a new gig since this thing went full steam ahead...
Posted by Creole, Mon Apr-20-20 09:10 AM
Health informatics is where I am. Not to say that makes me completely immune to the shifts in employment but I feel somewhat confident that I can be here through it.

13379617, I work for a company that's nearly 160 years old.
Posted by double negative, Mon Apr-20-20 09:18 AM
it's been through all the ill shit, all the wars, all the recessions & depressions.

shit goes down, they just find new ways to profit off what ever the fuck it is that's going down.

THAT SAID

I got two young kids at home, my wife is working from home as well. I am growing worried I'm not able to stay relevant.

Prekids I was the guy who would routinely pull 12 and even 18 hour days.

After kids I took on a hard 7.5 hour day

Now...I'm lucky if I could get in a solid 4 hours of work.

I was normally balancing 4 projects at once.

Now I'm down to one project and doing a few things at a time on that one project.

I can't live like this. I need completion to feel alright. I got nothing but unfinished tasks at my feet and while I'm feeding the beast and making those that need my output to keep dancing, dancing, I'm still worried I could be doing a lot more.

13379738, maybe this could shift the paradigm for you?
Posted by Damali, Mon Apr-20-20 04:10 PM
my dude, you are not your output. i think this is what the crisis is showing all of us

your work is not your identity. you are still the same person at 4 hours of work or 18.

capitalism got us all fukked up cuz that 18 hour a day work day sure didn't make you a millionaire...

not snarking u at all..just saying, that doesn't have to be what defines you.

d
13379785, Bruh, I’ve been feeling this way for the last month
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon Apr-20-20 10:30 PM
I’m in the same boat. 2 kids under 5. Wife also working from home. Spend had the work day juggling kids.

Output has been trash.
13380331, Just got an email asking for updates on my projects
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Apr-23-20 10:39 AM
and why so many aren’t finished

I want to scream “because it’s a pandemic and WFH is hard as fuck with 2 kids”

But I can’t...

I go back on Monday and hopefully will have a safe and productive week and get back into a groove.

We shall see. This shit sucks
13379621, its been no change basically
Posted by mista k5, Mon Apr-20-20 09:24 AM
i think overall our business numbers havent been affected just because of the industries we serve are essential businesses.

ive been working normal hours and in the office since this all started. finally working from home this week. were going to alternate weeks because...they said so.

all in all gotta be grateful i still have the same income and they are taking some precautions for people that are working in the office.
13379739, Red
Posted by wluv, Mon Apr-20-20 04:11 PM
Considered essential. No change.
13379755, red so far, but I work in media and ad budgets just disappeared so....
Posted by Rjcc, Mon Apr-20-20 06:44 PM

13379783, Just got the weekly update
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon Apr-20-20 10:20 PM
I’m starting to get nervous. Shit is ugly right now.

13379789, sending good energy to you...this shit is so cray
Posted by Damali, Tue Apr-21-20 12:20 AM
13379795, Likewise
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Apr-21-20 06:40 AM
I don’t like feeling like I’m failing at my gig when the reality is companies aren’t open or they are scared to buy shit cause no one is allowed outside.

13379791, gentrified OKP.... LOL
Posted by Hellyeah, Tue Apr-21-20 01:15 AM
13379991, I work with a general contractor under the table. Still working.
Posted by KiloMcG, Tue Apr-21-20 09:09 PM
Been working with this dude for over a year. Only difference is that now with the lockdown I can actually get more hours in because there are no more weeknight family obligations like practices, rehearsals etc. Kinda makin more money now than I was before. God is good.
13380054, My boss doesn’t want to believe this shit is real
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Apr-22-20 08:45 AM
He is one of those “we need to open things up”

We are essential so people are trickling back into the office this week. I go in next week.

I think he believes if we start back up then other folks will follow but it’s going to be rough for a minute. People aren’t spending money right now and a lot of people aren’t working or they are doing reduced hours.

Still feel anxious because I’m in marketing and of course we aren’t seeing any movement so naturally it looks like I’m not doing a good job. Maybe it’s all in my head and once I get back in the office I will relax.

But who the fuck can relax during a pandemic? I’m all types of fucked up. Lol.

13380055, Be safe, make sure you have masks and soaps
Posted by MEAT, Wed Apr-22-20 08:47 AM
They will under buy that shit and you don't want to get to the office to find out safety isn't an option.
My moms boss is a 3%er, it's about to get real shitty for her when they "open back up Texas"
13380064, Definitely
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Apr-22-20 09:00 AM
I have mask, soap and sanitizer

13380057, damn, you got some bad luck. back in the office already?
Posted by seemenomore, Wed Apr-22-20 08:50 AM
find solace that the commute will be reduced significantly?

they not offering no work from home days?

damn they whack.

i guess it's better than doing the furlough dance.
13380068, Dude wants this to be over
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Apr-22-20 09:02 AM
But it’s not up to him...

We are a small company tho...

13380063, re: not looking like you're doing a good job
Posted by seemenomore, Wed Apr-22-20 08:58 AM
are you pivoting your budgets & looking at competition performance?

shifting the an all that jazz?

and what the fuck are yall selling? some pointless shit?
13380071, Cybersecurity
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Apr-22-20 09:05 AM
Endpoint protection
Pen testing
Firewalls training and management

So we work with hospitals, small governments, banks, etc

A lot of projects are on hold and people aren’t picking up the phones.

so even tho are services are needed and valuable we can’t force people to move on projects or buy shit when they are just trying to stay afloat.

13380262, Yeah, but you're talking about regulated industries there
Posted by nonaime, Wed Apr-22-20 09:29 PM
healthcare and banks in particular...and now everyone is doing telework.

Granted, HHS has relaxed the enforcement of HIPAA security compliance when it comes to telehealth...it still doesn't mean that it would be cool, for example, to use just regular Zoom (especially with all the flack they've been getting recently) for video sessions with patients. This isn't to shit on Zoom, necessarily, because some of what they were catching hell over was from people being dumb.

I don't think there are any relaxation for the banking industry.

Them mofos don't have to answer the phone if they don't wanna now...but when they go for their annual audits, those internal/external auditors are going to have a field day.
13380069, Sounds like we work for the same person
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Apr-22-20 09:04 AM
Sports sales have obviously come to a screeching halt so we legit have no business right now. And our mgmt has lost its fucking mind and refuses to accept it’s just going to be like this for a minute. Obv they’re all Trump supporters.

We have these daily meetings to go over what everyone is doing while we wfh(nothing). My boss made up all these reports to show that we’re doing something but there’s nothing we can fill them in with. Bc in their mind if there’s no sales it MUST be bc we suck at our jobs or are lazy, and not the global pandemic bringing everything to a screeching halt. So Now they want us to court business outside of sports, the only problem is damn near everyone everywhere is feeling this and the last thing they want to do is spend money on some frivolous bs.

My boss called me one day last week about how “negative” I was being in the meetings because I’m the only person that will tell the truth about how long shit is going to be like this. They’ve been convinced every step of the way that this is going to be a 2 week thing and I told them we’d be out until August at least when this all started. And everytime you have something like the MLB saying they’re going to do the whole league in Arizona, or the NBA is gonna pick back up, they just hang their hats on that like it’s gospel. And of course the rest of our sales team just goes along with it because it’s what mgmt wants to hear so I’m out there by myself. Being “negative”...

And all this gaslighting from mgmt works on everyone else, so i end up spending half my day just playing therapist to the rest of our sales team. Bc now they think they do suck at their jobs and that they’re letting mgmt down. But their afraid to speak up and be honest like me. Puts me in a weird spot as our top salesperson since mgmt wants me to be in lockstep with them. But that is something that will never happen.

13380073, Exactly. What’s crazy is most of our company are progressive af
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Apr-22-20 09:12 AM
but our boss isn’t.

So we would have meetings and he’s like “this is going to be over soon” and after the meeting we all text each other like “this dude is bugging”

13380173, yeah i just wish folks would keep the same energy
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Apr-22-20 02:41 PM
like i get i have a certain shell of protection since i lead the company in sales and handling most of our biggest accounts to kinda wild out as i see fit.

but i feel like im on the playground telling somebody WE are gonna fuck you up and they're looking back at me like "you and who else" and i have nobody behind me.
13380061, still got a job, working remotely. burning through my own electricity
Posted by seemenomore, Wed Apr-22-20 08:56 AM
:-/
13380104, RED
Posted by infin8, Wed Apr-22-20 10:54 AM
but I've been reporting to work every day. I hear L.A. City workers are looking at a furlough, and word on the street is that County Workers like myself are next.

We'll see.
13380163, red
Posted by mochalox, Wed Apr-22-20 02:10 PM
I'm super duper blessed. I try not to think about it 'cuz I don't wanna jinx it.
13380482, oh, hi.
Posted by infin8, Thu Apr-23-20 04:39 PM
:-)
13380265, fortunate beyond measure.
Posted by Reeq, Wed Apr-22-20 10:01 PM
self employed plus a full time gig where i dont even need to be physically present in my office on most days.

even if/when other depts might shutdown or scale back...my team still has to be up and running/available regardless (unless the company closes).
13380321, RE: As of 4/20/20, what is your employment status?
Posted by MEAT, Thu Apr-23-20 10:20 AM

---- has been asked to complete forklift observations next week in --- (Regional). I am asking that you clear your calendars and assist him so that he can get these done between Tuesday and Thursday.

Please make appropriate arrangements to be at --- those three days on the floor. --- has asked that you be there by no later than 8:30. Please be sure to wear your mask the entire time you are on the floor.

---------

… is this open for discussion? I haven’t left the house in over a month because I’m an asthmatic. Can I at least try to get a talk in with my doctor?

---------

Eventually we all need to make our way back for work. The work from home thing was conditional based on needs of your job or the business. You can definitely talk to your Dr. but I need you to make arrangements from here to then.

13380327, Yeah.. the push is real to get us out in these streets
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Apr-23-20 10:36 AM
I go back Monday.
13380335, Glad I reached out to my doctor weeks ago
Posted by MEAT, Thu Apr-23-20 10:42 AM
I mean I get the mentality “if everyone else can do this then why can’t you” ... fundamentally I get that. But on the other hand, there’s a part of me that just doesn’t take a chance when it comes to dying and definitely not for a job.
13380383, Yup. Seems like most warehouses are ripe for it too
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Apr-23-20 12:24 PM
I work in an office with less than 10 people.

Still not feeling it.
13380385, Even worse, the masks don't do shit for you not catching it
Posted by MEAT, Thu Apr-23-20 12:34 PM
They're there to help you not spread it
Like I'm supposed to really walk around a warehouse following a guy and talking to him all day long for 3 days straight

You know how many times I would have the touch the mask to yell instructions?
13380413, Turns out they're still not requiring non admin warehouse to wear masks
Posted by MEAT, Thu Apr-23-20 01:37 PM
"The following ---- work in environments where they naturally are not within 6 feet of each other, and at this time they are not be required to wear masks at work, though we strongly encourage them to. We will be providing the alternate face marks to these Partners based on their roles and environment as well. We ask all of these Partners to try one of these other masks or a mask of their own, as wearing a mask is still a smart way to prevent the spread of the virus.

· Warehouse Distribution I and Distribution II ---- – including sanitation, housekeeping, haulers, order selectors, lift operators, and loaders. "
13380424, Damn
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Apr-23-20 01:59 PM
13380437, So you got all of these people (about 100 a shift)
Posted by MEAT, Thu Apr-23-20 02:16 PM
Just breathing through aisles at 2-5mph sharing air
Wild
13381036, Took a 15% pay reduction.. home until May 8th
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Apr-28-20 07:30 AM
Pay should return to normal once everything returns to new normal.

13381055, Other-"essential" employee so I'm still working full stop
Posted by Garhart Poppwell, Tue Apr-28-20 09:09 AM
and counting the days until I catch this shit
13387338, 2.5 million new jobs added in May (estimate was 8.3 million loss)
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Fri Jun-05-20 07:49 AM
Unemployment rate falls from 14.7 to 13.3%.

Is the economy on its way to a rapid recovery? Has you job status changed since April?
13387350, These numbers seem faker than a Trump physical.
Posted by stravinskian, Fri Jun-05-20 08:18 AM
I don't like to conspiracy theorize, and I certainly don't think they'd be able to just make up these numbers out of thin air. But I want some statisticians and economists to dig into them and figure out what's going on.

How do we get millions of new unemployment claims every week and end up with net positive jobs created? I know they're measuring different things, but they ought to be strongly correlated. Did they change how they're weighting some of the averages? Somebody on TV mentioned that they noted some covid-related adjustments. I'm suspicious.
13387358, they revised down job growth in 2018 by 500k.
Posted by Reeq, Fri Jun-05-20 08:47 AM
and thats from only about 2.5 million jobs reported.

this admin has consistently massaged the data and shifted reporting periods to get big jobs headlines...only to revise them down by differences not seen since the great recession (when the job market was much more volatile).

some people are saying we got a large jump from business forcing their employees back from temp furlough...automatically taking them off the unemployment books in one fell swoop.

but something tells me theres some finessing going on with the numbers too. theyve already done it with much less at stake.

i thought they would do something like this...cuz if you watch fox news...they started pushing the narrative that the election will come down to...not coronavirus...not george floyd and police brutality...not any other current hot button issues...but china and who americans trust to get the economy going again. so i knew we were gonna start getting jobs numbers to help them build that narrative. i didnt think it would start this early especially with everyone forecasting the numbers would go completely in the opposite direction.
13387360, I know they always adjust the numbers after the fact
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Jun-05-20 08:54 AM
but I def see people on my FB timeline announcing they have to go back to work.

I think a lot of service and retail gigs are rehiring people. Still going to be a slow recovery.

What’s crazy is my IRA has almost gained back all the losses already.

13387367, I don't think fakery is involved. But some potential explanations...
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Fri Jun-05-20 09:28 AM
There is a lag in unemployment claims, so there are issues trying to line up the data. Especially since there was such a back log in getting those things processed. Many people filed in March and didn't get approved until May. By the time they show up on the unemployment claims data, they might be re-employed.

The data may be more unreliable due to the pandemic conditions. The Bureau of Labor Statistics talk about them and how they try to adjust for these difficulties. One of these is accounting for business births and deaths. If businesses disappear, they can't be surveyed. So it would appear like job gains are increasing.

In normal time, these two things (business births and deaths) for the most part balance out. One business dies, another starts (or it can be simply modeled as a function of economic conditions). But in these times, lots of businesses are failing and nobody in their right mind is starting up.
But according to the BLS, they changed their modeling to try to correct for this. But who knows if the correction is accurate?

And there could be confusion on how to classify people (employed vs unemployed).
I'm going to just pull quotes from the report about this:

"In May, 8.4 million workers were classified as employed with a job but not at work during the survey
reference week...This likely reflects the impact of
the coronavirus pandemic".
"However, as happened in April and March, some workers who were not at work during the entire
reference week were not classified as unemployed on temporary layoff in May. Rather, they were
classified as employed but absent from work."

"What would the unemployment rate be if these misclassified workers were included among the unemployed?"
"If these workers
were instead considered unemployed on temporary layoff, the number of unemployed people in May (on
a not seasonally adjusted basis) would increase by 4.9 million from 20.5 million to 25.4 million. The
number of people in the labor force would remain at 158.0 million in May (not seasonally adjusted) as
people move from employed to unemployed but stay in the labor force. The resulting unemployment
rate for May would be 16.1 percent (not seasonally adjusted), compared with the official estimate of
13.0 percent "

So there could be adjustments coming in the next months as they get clearer data of what actually happened in May vs what people think is going to happen to their job.

Or...........people could be getting back to work

>I don't like to conspiracy theorize, and I certainly don't
>think they'd be able to just make up these numbers out of thin
>air. But I want some statisticians and economists to dig into
>them and figure out what's going on.
>
>How do we get millions of new unemployment claims every week
>and end up with net positive jobs created? I know they're
>measuring different things, but they ought to be strongly
>correlated. Did they change how they're weighting some of the
>averages? Somebody on TV mentioned that they noted some
>covid-related adjustments. I'm suspicious.
>
13387376, Great info. Thanks for all this!
Posted by stravinskian, Fri Jun-05-20 10:01 AM
Yeah, I was being a little jokey with the fakery accusation. I *am* reminded of all the bullshit accusations Trump threw against the Obama administration, only to eventually do what he'd accused Obama of. So I wouldn't or it past him, personally.

But yeah, with something as complex as this, and as public as this, it's easier to misinterpret the data (or fall victim to random fluctuations) than to outright juice it.

(And yeah, I don't dismiss the possibility that it could be actual (mildly) good news. Just that when something smells fishy these days, it's natural to consider the dead fish.)
13387389, Yamiche asked Trump about the increase in black unemployment
Posted by navajo joe, Fri Jun-05-20 11:00 AM
His response was to wave her away, tell her 'you're something else' and leave
https://twitter.com/CAPAction/status/1268931242122194945?s=20

Also, Trump said that George should be looking down from heaven and see that today is a great day for him and was a great day for our country.

https://twitter.com/realshanewill/status/1268934908308787202?s=20

She also asked him about his plan to address systemic racism

He shushed her.

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1268928142632157186
13387392, 60+ hours per week while as we push towards peak coronavirus
Posted by Kira, Fri Jun-05-20 11:12 AM
I'm getting pulled over by cops for no reason while people refuse to wear masks.
13391770, 4.8 million new jobs in June. Unemployment rate falls from 13.3% to 11.1%
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Thu Jul-02-20 09:05 AM
Numbers much better than was expected. Economists expected 2.9 million new jobs and 12.4% unemployment

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/02/jobs-report-june-2020.html
13391774, those arent new jobs those are old jobs
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Thu Jul-02-20 09:35 AM
13391775, Unfortunately these UE numbers are going to go back up
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Jul-02-20 09:35 AM
because people refuse to wear mask or SD
13403984, finally off furlough and back to work as of 2 weeks ago
Posted by Mynoriti, Thu Sep-17-20 07:32 PM
working remotely from home for a different office though. same pay

I hate the whole, "we added 2 million jobs this month" thing right now. these aren't new jobs. it's mostly just people going back, and in many cases for less pay
13403995, My status remains the same
Posted by KiloMcG, Thu Sep-17-20 11:06 PM