Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectRE: How similar they look helps our point.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13379235&mesg_id=13381083
13381083, RE: How similar they look helps our point.
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Tue Apr-28-20 10:38 AM
>This has nothing to do with shade of skin. Looking at how
>similar they look , in fact, makes Kidada and Rashida's
>discussion about how they grew up so differently actually
>supports the idea that how they choose to identify was a
>decision on their part.

That's something to consider as they aged. Although I wouldn't blame Rashida for taking advantage of looking white in a racist white society.

However, I just wanna point out that, from what I'm seeing in the article, it was their different appearances as children that actually caused them to grow up so differently.

The pic I posted shows them about as natural as they can be, Rashida with naturally straight blond hair and green eyes and Kidada with brown skin, brown eyes and curly black hair. She looks like a mixed child while Rashida just looks white.

Then the article has Kidada giving the account of the boy being disappointed ("you didn't tell me she was black") and Rashida saying she gets told “But you look so white!” “You’re not black!” <- those facts, to me, outline a difference between blackness & whiteness as social constructs... as it's largely about how the world perceives you.
Police will shoot you because of how you racially appear, and this extends to how people treat you at every turn in society down to the smallest of things. Kidada was never perceived as white in school or beyond it. Rashida always was. Given their statements, no amount of pictures where they look they same can override their own statements about how people saw them, solely based on their appearances.

>I beg you. Read the whole article. It's the most in-depth
>statement from Rashida Jones on her relationship to blackness.

And as you pointed out right there, folks don't seem to want to read what Rashida and Kidada have said in their own words. I appreciate you reading it tho.