Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectHow similar they look helps our point.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13379235&mesg_id=13381063
13381063, How similar they look helps our point.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Tue Apr-28-20 09:44 AM
This has nothing to do with shade of skin. Looking at how similar they look , in fact, makes Kidada and Rashida's discussion about how they grew up so differently actually supports the idea that how they choose to identify was a decision on their part.

I beg you. Read the whole article. It's the most in-depth statement from Rashida Jones on her relationship to blackness. Rashida talks about how she identified more with the white side of her family and friends and Kidada with the black side. Kidada wanted to live with her father and leave the white schools and go to black schools. Rashida wanted to live with mom and felt uncomfortable around Kidada's black friends and the black kids at her schools.

So no one is sitting in judgement of her blackness and deciding for her. She is telling us her relationship to blackness.

I've had more than one uncomfortable conversations with Bi-racial people who were offended when I tried to tell them they are black. So I wouldn't presume a bi-racial identifies as black just because they have a black parent.

As far as the casting. If the character were a character who was bi-racial who tries to go extra hard to present her blackness. Rashida Jones would make a lot of sense in casting. And it did seem like that's how the character was being presented at first. But over time the character started to present like the "militant" character Barass describes her as. That Rashida Jones does not pull off well because it's obvious on screen she isn't THAT comfortable with her blackness...just like she said about herself.

I love the idea of a Shuan King-like militant bi-racial character and I don't dislike Rashida Jones, I just think she was miscast.

>I think from what’s quoted by the Rashida Jones detractors
>in here one could get the perception that Kadida is some dark
>brown skin afro’d up person but that’s pretty far from the
>case.
>
>Do your googles folks.
>
>Looking forward to season 2 with Rashida Jones reprising her
>role as the wife and mom. Great show :-)

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"