Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectThey both confirm she was perceived as white.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13379235&mesg_id=13381061
13381061, They both confirm she was perceived as white.
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Tue Apr-28-20 09:27 AM
That's not sibling rivalry. That's just the reality of her life according to her sister's claim and her own admission.

>but again, not sure what any of this has to do with Rashida
>playing a role on a show. She’s an actress.

I realize that. That's also not how this got introduced into the convo on my part. Among what I said was that I thought her mannerisms looked off and that, given the name of the show, I figured a white-passing actor's presence in the main cast would be addressed in some way. It wasn't.
Mainly tho, I said *I* can't take her seriously giving that speech... as much as I couldn't take Rachel Dolezal seriously giving the same speech. **I'm not talking one-drop rules. I'm talking race as a social construct and societal positioning.** Peoples' insistence that she's black is also what makes the totally cool with the speech, correct? Would you accept it from Ronda Rousy, even if she was acting? Why or why not?
(the following is not yelling, but emphasis...)
RACE AS A SOCIAL CONSTRUCT vs RACE AS BIOLOGY IS THE FUNDAMENTAL DISAGREEMENT YOU ALL ARE HAVING WITH ME.

>Off camera experience rarely has an impact on these casting
>decisions.

I realize that also... even though that's been quite the debate, especially with non-American actors being chosen for iconic Black American roles (MLK, Harriet Tubman, etc... even Sam Jack's issue with Get Out).

>This whole show feels like the joke is overcompensating for
>their “lack of blackness”
>
>Kenya isn’t even viewed as BlackAF by the rest of his family
>for obvious reasons.

That's really neither here nor there, given the conversation isn't about Kenya being accepted as white his entire life based on his looks. That can only be ignored w/ regard to Rashida.