Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectLet's not do that.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13379235&mesg_id=13380986
13380986, Let's not do that.
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Mon Apr-27-20 03:16 PM
I mean if we're calling one another ridiculous...
It's also ridiculous how you approached Bentagain above so disrespectfully without simply saying you disagreed for whatever reason. We can easily be respectful on here without trying to start unnecessary hostilities. We done with that now or nah?

>By the implication that she passed, ie it was not active.

I acknowledged that. My point in this is that it doesn't matter what you call it. What they're both describing is someone experiencing life as a white person... albeit an empathetic one... but still as a white person.

>She can’t help the way she looks nor should she be ashamed of it
>nor does it make her any less Black.

That goes without saying, and where have I even indicated that she should be ashamed of her looks? That's just randomness.

>Her name is Rashida Jones. That’s a pretty unambiguous Black
>name, she has never tried to hide it and has played Black and
>mixed roles (including the mixed sister of the wife on
>Blackish)

I addressed this name stuff already in the post. Frankly, it's a cheap and lazy argument. At most, kids on the playground just thought it was novel that they had a white friend named Rashida. Can't believe people are saying a name solidifies ethnicity. Think about the implications of that.

>And just becuz someone hasn’t experienced the injustices
>against their race doesn’t mean they can’t feel that shit
>as injustice, I’ve never had a cop point a gun at me, does
>that mean I can’t speak on police murdering Black men and
>racial bias in policing???

This is a logical leap and far oversimplifies my point. ANYONE can speak on it. People praise Jane Elliot and Tim Wise for speaking on it. That has never been what I've said about any of this. You can speak on the fear of being pulled over and murdered by police based on how you look. Rashida can't. This is what it means when we say race is a social construct. Socially, she's been white since she was a child. People say she black on a technicality of having a black parent. It's not how she exists in the world tho. Please understand this difference so we can see one another's viewpoints here.

>Blacker than though discussions are best placed in the trash
>bin.

This isn't a matter of "blacker" imo. It's much more nuanced than that.