Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectIt's interesting that Tracey Ellis Ross's Rainbow was way less polarizing.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13379235&mesg_id=13380927
13380927, It's interesting that Tracey Ellis Ross's Rainbow was way less polarizing.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Mon Apr-27-20 09:45 AM
Which to me tells me that it really isn't about the Rashida Jones being Bi-racial. Personally, I don't have a problem with the character being bi-racial if that's reflecting Barris' life and that was fundamental to her character ...being caught between both worlds.

Rashida has voiced being not as comfortable in black settings and it shows. Now, if that was the source of the character, that would make a lot of sense and could be done well, but that's not how the character is portrayed.

But Rashida plays it like a white girl trying to play a down black girl. Tracee Ellis Ross comes off waaay more authentic. Rashida is trying too hard and looks goofy in her cornrows.

Now I don't know anything about the real life rainbow but from the couple of interviews I have seen of her and seeing they met in high school I get the impression that the real raina grew up around black people and is comfortable in that setting.

Alright. I've said enough on this subject.
"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"