Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectPop Culture Humor is annoying
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13379235&mesg_id=13380912
13380912, Pop Culture Humor is annoying
Posted by Mori, Mon Apr-27-20 05:50 AM
I do not like when shows make references to pop culture as if it is real. It is contrived. So if you joke about Jussie Smollet or some other dated event, it makes the show less classic and more In Living Color-ish.

Casting was fine. This man's real life wife was as light and racially ambiguous as Rashida. I think that there is a voice for the light skinned passing black woman that is more than a tragedy, sexual object or fetish.

I liked Rashida because she never showed too much skin, she behaved like a mom and she didn't let her light skinned-ness become a go to joke or predictable beauty standard.

I don't think Rashida is really a BEAUTIFUL light skinned woman. She is not ugly, but she is a standard attractive woman with a normal body. I know light skinned women like this who don't use that to make themselves feel better than brown/dark skinned women. I think Steph Curry's mom has this energy. I hope Rashida's character will break light skinned women stereotypes and open more scenes with black /brown women redefining beauty and relationships in Hollywood.