Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectWord.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13379235&mesg_id=13380857
13380857, Word.
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Sun Apr-26-20 01:20 PM
>I feel like you did what I did. After the "Is Rashida Jones
>Black?" debate, I searched the net and the most I got her
>saying "I'm ethnic" and the Galmour article you referred to.
>The article about how Kidada grew u black and Rashida grew up
>white.

Truth be told, my disinterest in the show came from the fact that I read that article years ago. I knew she'd experienced life as a white person, so her being cast in "#blackAF" was immediately off-putting to me. With all the praise the show as getting, I thought maybe this was addressed in the show or something. I should've known better tho lol. They really got her wearing fake pain.

>I've met Bi-racial people who claim black. and I met
>Bi-racial people who identify as "Bi-racial". I've met
>Bi-racial people who pass (Don't know any who identify as
>white but how would I know, they are passing).
>
>So the whole, "Of course Rashida is black, here dad is Quincy
>Jones" sounds like some BS to me...but I don't have the energy
>to argue Rashida Jones blackness with anyone because its a
>nuanced complex subject. I feel like she has claimed different
>statuses through her life which is her right...I guess...but I
>am not sure anyone can say without a doubt she is black.

I've actually argued that she's white b/c she's experienced her entire life as a white person and was born into wealth (with white grandparents' acceptance to boot), so the lineage argument about generational disadvantage doesn't even apply to her. Technically, she has "black blood", but so does Ronda Rousy. We wouldn't accept her playing a black person tho. Add in the fact that Rashida has *literally* said she never experienced the pain of being black, and honestly I lost respect for HER for even accepting this role. She obviously doesn't need my respect, but I think it would've shown a lot of integrity on her part had she said she couldn't accept the role due to never having truly lived a black experience... especially since she's actually said that publicly before. Just my view tho. *shrugs*