Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectcoronavirus is infecting and killing blacks at an alarmingly high rate...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13377720
13377720, coronavirus is infecting and killing blacks at an alarmingly high rate...
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri Apr-10-20 06:00 PM
I felt like this should be a separate post but moderators may disagree. It crazy how quickly this moved from urban legends that "black folks can't get it" to we are the main ones dying from it but a lot of folks still don't believe it and are still not practicing social distancing, talk to your people...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/04/07/coronavirus-is-infecting-killing-black-americans-an-alarmingly-high-rate-post-analysis-shows/?arc404=true
13377740, how do we address it...
Posted by Trinity444, Fri Apr-10-20 07:20 PM
The data is not as important as addressing those underlying conditions (diet, poverty) first. It’s going to be an uncomfortable conversation.
13377753, We? Aint shit we can do about how America purposely structures itself
Posted by MEAT, Fri Apr-10-20 07:56 PM
Particularly when the goal has been and will continue to be extracting the maximum from Black people up to and including the maximum they can get from Black death.
13378242, THIS.
Posted by Damali, Mon Apr-13-20 05:57 PM
13377760, It's what the push for reparations was/is about.
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Fri Apr-10-20 08:17 PM
13377829, yup. It's the only way to break the cycle
Posted by kayru99, Sat Apr-11-20 05:02 PM
13377743, there were people claiming melanated skin was immune to the virus
Posted by Ray_Snill, Fri Apr-10-20 07:25 PM
that's why I hate the internet sometimes

<=========================================
https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/PYzh4v9cSf4FDnq3yMQyqNqh79o=/800x0/filters:no_upscale%28%29/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/4079674/jlio.0.gif
13377754, Namely Afro-centric Hotep types.
Posted by Shaun Tha Don, Fri Apr-10-20 07:56 PM
13377758, That was due to low numbers in Africa before it hit America
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Apr-10-20 08:07 PM
Niggas wanted it to be true.

13377786, i definitely heard this well after it hit america
Posted by CherNic, Sat Apr-11-20 08:37 AM
13377803, NBA players and Idris Elba should've killed that theory but it didn't...
Posted by ThaTruth, Sat Apr-11-20 11:00 AM
>Niggas wanted it to be true.
>
>
13377745, we always seem to end up on the bad side of shit...
Posted by mikediggz, Fri Apr-10-20 07:27 PM
13377750, No surprise.
Posted by flipnile, Fri Apr-10-20 07:40 PM
Everything besides head lice & Crohns seems to hit black folk harder.
13377784, I don't believe the media
Posted by Musa, Sat Apr-11-20 03:51 AM
also if it is true with the health conditions of the average person in the USA overall let alone many stolen Africans it would not be surprising.

Environmental racism

which exposes one to air pollution

water pollution

ground pollution

food deserts

lack of healthcare and terribly racist healthcare providers

and the psychological weight of mythical "white"(pink) supremacy.

It's no surprise.

13377795, Feds classifying all corona patient deaths as COVID-19 regardless of cause
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Sat Apr-11-20 10:04 AM
So this means if you have heart trouble and go the the hospital... they find that you have coronavirus, they can just let you die and call it a COVID-19 death. REALLY easy way to get rid of black folks.
Idc what anybody says, this is what's happening in those hospitals. We know America's history of medical racism. If you don't, you got alotta reading to do before you come for me. I digress tho...
They're saying it doesn't matter what you die from. As long as you were declared to have COVID-19 when you died, they're calling it a COVID-19 death. Sooooo much they can do with that.

https://nypost.com/2020/04/07/feds-classify-all-coronavirus-patient-deaths-as-covid-19-deaths/
13377798, this is an ny post/fox news/rupert murdoch talking point.
Posted by Reeq, Sat Apr-11-20 10:28 AM
13377801, Explain
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Sat Apr-11-20 10:49 AM
13378037, here enlighten yourself:
Posted by Reeq, Mon Apr-13-20 09:25 AM
https://www.mediamatters.org/fox-news/new-trumpist-coronavirus-talking-point-death-count-inflated
13378048, That's not my argument.
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Mon Apr-13-20 09:36 AM
Posting that article REALLY makes it look like you don't understand the discussion you joined. Wanna try again?
13378060, thats article directly addresses the content of the article you posted.
Posted by Reeq, Mon Apr-13-20 09:51 AM
whether you choose to read/comprehend it is on you.
13378063, It doesn't address what I said though.
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Mon Apr-13-20 09:57 AM
I don't let articles speak for me as you do. I'm actually capable of thinking and forming further conclusions based on quite a bit of previous info I've gained.
So again, your article doesn't address MY point.
Are you so incapable of forming and following a network of thoughts that you can't see that?
13378065, youre capable of thinking but not reading?
Posted by Reeq, Mon Apr-13-20 09:59 AM
you just skip one and go to the other?
13378072, Reading is how I know the article doesn't address my point.
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Mon Apr-13-20 10:03 AM
Are you incapable of both?
13378076, it literally addresses your original post.
Posted by Reeq, Mon Apr-13-20 10:09 AM
13378078, It doesn't tho.
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Mon Apr-13-20 10:12 AM
13378015, Just look at what the woman says in the first 50 seconds of the video
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Mon Apr-13-20 07:39 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSuTbHP1stI

Is that not exactly what I said they'd do?
But I'm making a "fox news talking point" tho right? Lol. As if Fox news would tell us that hospitals are gonna mis-diagnose us so that they can let us die. I appreciate those of yall with the common sense to take heed to this kind of info. The rest of yall who blindly trust a system that has marginalized and targeted us for centuries are a puzzling bunch.
13378023, Reeq views everything thru a political lense
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon Apr-13-20 08:01 AM
Just because someone on the news said it doesn’t mean it has to be applied to your point.

13378035, The ol' "u said something ___ said, so my comprehension stopped
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Mon Apr-13-20 09:24 AM
working" game. I left the door open for him to explain what he meant. Homie jetted tho. Probably a smart move.
In reply 11, I just wanted people to see what Deborah Birx said.. If you can't apply what you already know to see how that's gonna work for us, you either know nothing about our history or don't connect dots very well.
13378036, bernie lost. let the grudge go.
Posted by Reeq, Mon Apr-13-20 09:25 AM
13378040, See what I mean ^^^
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon Apr-13-20 09:28 AM
13378045, how come you never think to research shit for yourself?
Posted by Reeq, Mon Apr-13-20 09:31 AM
13378049, Everything isn’t about foxnews bruh
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon Apr-13-20 09:39 AM
Would be nice if you could simply provide information without implying a poster is following the Fox News crowd.

13378059, i didnt imply he was following the fox news crowd.
Posted by Reeq, Mon Apr-13-20 09:49 AM
he posted an ny post article.

ny post is owned by rupert murdoch. rupert murdoch owns fox news.

i simply pointed out that those outlets were pushing that talking point.

simply pointing out the truth offends you apparently.

13378291, The clip of Dr. Deborah Birx is from C-Span
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Tue Apr-14-20 01:05 AM
That clip is at the top of the page, and she's simply giving information about how deaths will be classified.

I gave my interpretation of how her news will affect Black people (which turned out to be true).

The article is the NY Post's interpretation, which isn't very important to me... hence my interpretation saying something different, because my concern is Black people.

I know Reeq left, but let the record show, his ONLY argument was against the outlets these clips happened to be on... not against the news itself. These outlets aren't the original sources of these clips... they're just the easiest ways for them to be viewable to everyone, spliced at the point where the important info is shared.
13378044, rizza islam is an indicted noi/scientology scammer.
Posted by Reeq, Mon Apr-13-20 09:31 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqDs1akFVFc

good luck if hes your source on anything.

same dude said we dont need vaccinations for outdated diseases like mmr because they are extremely rare now (how does he think they became rare? lol).
13378046, The part of the video I said watch didn't involve him talking
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Mon Apr-13-20 09:33 AM
Wanna address the content I'm talking about or you gonna use Rizza to dodge addressing the real issue here?
13378052, Dude started at the 51st second.. lmao.
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon Apr-13-20 09:44 AM
13378056, 🤣🤣🤣
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Mon Apr-13-20 09:48 AM
13378064, was the opening video claiming inflated diagnoses or not?
Posted by Reeq, Mon Apr-13-20 09:58 AM
that person said they were diagnosed just because they stated common symptoms (and without a test).

which i told you (and provided detailed research) was part of a larger disinfo campaign.

being circulate by rizza who is known for amplifying disinfo.

i assume you have eyes and ears.

what you choose to do with them is on you.
13378293, Your article was about inflated death counts. You didn't even read it.
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Tue Apr-14-20 05:27 AM
***Dude left, but I'm only addressing this because I didn't see it when he was here***

And the main point of your article is that that claim is being used IN DEFENSE OF TRUMP by downplaying it's seriousness of the virus as to defend Trump's terrible preparation and response. This is what I mean about you not understanding the discussion you joined. You (and anyone in this post) are free to show me where I'm defending Trump by suspecting America of practicing medical racism during a pandemic... when America has been proven to practice medical racism ABSENT of a pandemic.

What's really happening here is that you're downplaying America's medical racism against black people by claiming that I'm (somehow) joining Fox news in downplaying the virus to defend Trump. That's utterly ridiculous of you, seriously.

>that person said they were diagnosed just because they stated
>common symptoms (and without a test).
>
>which i told you (and provided detailed research) was part of
>a larger disinfo campaign.

This extremely intellectually dishonest of you. That's actually not what you, nor the article you posted, said. Your article IS NOT about being receiving diagnosis of COVID-19 without a test (and it does not focus on black people). The entire purpose and aim of the article you posted is addressing something OTHER than what I'm saying.

13378053, sidenote: this vid of dude crying real tears over pedophile r kelly lol
Posted by Reeq, Mon Apr-13-20 09:45 AM
https://twitter.com/DrakoDre/status/1082056141100724225

13378061, So about the woman being mis-diagnosed
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Mon Apr-13-20 09:53 AM
You looking bad right now hiding behind attacking Rizza.
You tryna win the OKP LOL WOW battle to slide your way outta addressing the real issue we're facing as a community? Sure, that's all you CAN do right now, but damn son.
13378071, is this like when yall defend tariq nasheed and umar johnson?
Posted by Reeq, Mon Apr-13-20 10:03 AM
'dont worry about the messenger...just pay attention to the message!'

lol.

im just tryna help you vet your sources better so you dont run around looking foolish fam.

believe what you want tho lol.

im outta here (c) spongebob

13378077, This isn't a defense of anyone but the woman in the first 50 seconds
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Mon Apr-13-20 10:11 AM
I mean... is this like when you agree with Umar but say you never would?

These questions are irrelevant to the issue at hand as you continue to dodge.
13378062, Hmm.. other videos in that link refute your point
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon Apr-13-20 09:54 AM
“He should go to jail but he isn’t the only one...Aaliyah’s parents, and anyone else who helped over it up should be in jail too”

Cmon dude.. shoulda stuck to the first 50 seconds.
13378069, Dude is burying himself under his own straw men
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Mon Apr-13-20 10:02 AM
>“He should go to jail but he isn’t the only
>one...Aaliyah’s parents, and anyone else who helped over it
>up should be in jail too”
>
>Cmon dude.. shoulda stuck to the first 50 seconds.

Lol, he really should have.
13378074, dude brought up Kellz in a Corona post about Black numbers
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon Apr-13-20 10:06 AM
13378079, I'll give him credit for realizing it was time for him to go after that.
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Mon Apr-13-20 10:17 AM
13378080, what does that have to do with black folks?
Posted by Trinity444, Mon Apr-13-20 10:18 AM
seems like you’re injecting your own beliefs into it...
13378092, What? I'm looking at how it'll affect black folks.
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Mon Apr-13-20 10:36 AM
>seems like you’re injecting your own beliefs into it...

No, I'm judging by America's history of (and present) medical racism toward black people. That history is a fact, not my belief.
13378100, To me it says we aren’t getting proper treatment
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon Apr-13-20 10:51 AM
and that isn’t anything new.

We always get looked over or sent away without actually taking the time to treat what is wrong.

13378106, that’s not what the article is saying tho...
Posted by Trinity444, Mon Apr-13-20 11:04 AM
sounds statistical to me.
like, how deaths are being classified
what diagnoses end up on the death certificate
which...is not has important (imo) as black folks addressing our underlying conditions

heart disease
diabetes
high blood pressure
etc...
13378253, Ok, so walk through this slowly with me, Trinity.
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Mon Apr-13-20 06:34 PM
With the way this country has ALWAYS treated black people...

They have practiced something called medical racism...

This includes MIS-DIAGNOSES and negligent care... very heavily against US, black people

This means that they tell us we have something that we actually DON'T have, because they don't value our lives enough figure out how to actually heal us. This has been happening LONG before Covid-19 and still happens today.

Are you still with me?
Ok, let's continue....

When they say that ALL people who die with Covid-19 will be classified as Covid-19 deaths, that's a REALLY easy way for them to practice medical racism against black people.
BECAUSE... black people can come into the hospital for...
>heart disease
>diabetes
>high blood pressure
>etc...
or any other issue (especially a heart or kidney issue), the hospital can then officially declare they have Covid-19 WITHOUT EVEN TESTING THEM(<-This has happened to people, Trinity) and allow them to die, then claim that they just couldn't save them due to Covid-19 being so out of control.

Like I said earlier in the post, if one can't see how the words in the article can be used against us specifically, you either don't know much or don't connect dots very well. I know what the article is saying. Preemptively seeing how such things will affect us is just something I've gotten pretty good at. If you can recognize that we have more issues that can bring us to the hospital, I trust that you're smart enough to figure this out. Basically stated, shit be different for us. Way different. I'm not talking about the masses. I'm talking about us and America's relationship to us... which is different from their relationship to others.
13378027, can yall tell me how poor blacks can practice social distance
Posted by lsymone, Mon Apr-13-20 08:23 AM
when they actually are but they also need to go to work to pay rent/bills to prevent bein thrown on the streets or living in their car or worse.

majority work in service industry jobs such as running the register/stocking supplies, public transportation, custodial/janitorial, etc. where they have no choice to be around people, and live in densely populates areas, furthering their exposure to other carriers.

plus blacks are also fighting two viruses: Covid-19 and HIV. some have found out they have HIV after getting tested for Covid-19. while others choose not to cause they dont want to know why their immune system is suddenly shutting down at a rapid pace.

and recently black men are being targeted by the cops for wearing a mask and cops are walking thru public housing complex and coughing on the residents. black ppl are desperately trying to survive this epidemic yet the powers that be want them DEAD.

13378058, Shit is scary. Chances are sky high if you are in close quarters
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon Apr-13-20 09:49 AM
and have to deal with the public all day.
13378082, exactly, especially in these single parent homes
Posted by lsymone, Mon Apr-13-20 10:20 AM
mom has to go to work, who gone watch the kids? Big Mama and nem, or the oldest kid.

13378096, the stimulus money isn’t enough...
Posted by Trinity444, Mon Apr-13-20 10:44 AM
trump and his crew don’t believe this thing won’t be around long so they’re not thinking this thing through.

shit, I’m scared of throwing away food now...

13378097, right, a lot of poor people live in smaller apartments or "projects" and...
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Apr-13-20 10:46 AM
some with multiple generations living in the same house
13378098, leaving and returning to your apt is like being in a minefield
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon Apr-13-20 10:49 AM
the density in these places make it impossible to escape a virus.

13378218, right, I've said before that going outside is like sex without a condom...
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Apr-13-20 03:54 PM
if you have to go inside and out past multiple people multiple times a day, then if you live in a home with multiple people that come and go multiple times a day...
13378099, All real talk... especially your very last sentence.
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Mon Apr-13-20 10:50 AM
Been having many conversations about these things and hearing so many accounts that validate your concerns here. 66 yr old black woman said she was treated like she was gonna stick Walmart up for having on a mask. The story of the black bus driver who made the video after being coughed on then died a couple of days later hit me pretty hard. Bus drivers kicking black people off for not having on masks now. People are seeing that America will use ANY reason to target us. There's no call to refrain from practicing racism against us. It's always open season. What we can do is be safe, eat right as to build our immune systems up as strong as possible, get sunlight, etc. For many black people, our investment in our ability to fight the virus off is our best bet. I'm lucky enough to not have to be out and still getting paid, but many prayers to those who aren't.

>when they actually are but they also need to go to work to
>pay rent/bills to prevent bein thrown on the streets or living
>in their car or worse.
>
>majority work in service industry jobs such as running the
>register/stocking supplies, public transportation,
>custodial/janitorial, etc. where they have no choice to be
>around people, and live in densely populates areas, furthering
>their exposure to other carriers.
>
>plus blacks are also fighting two viruses: Covid-19 and HIV.
>some have found out they have HIV after getting tested for
>Covid-19. while others choose not to cause they dont want to
>know why their immune system is suddenly shutting down at a
>rapid pace.
>
>and recently black men are being targeted by the cops for
>wearing a mask and cops are walking thru public housing
>complex and coughing on the residents. black ppl are
>desperately trying to survive this epidemic yet the powers
>that be want them DEAD.
>
>
13378319, Very,very,good virtual panel hosted by Angela Rye on this topic (link):
Posted by kfine, Tue Apr-14-20 09:26 AM
Highly recommend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coXYB9ISI_c

Black Women Speak: The Politics of COVID-19.
Did you know Black people are disproportionately affected by and dying with COVID-19? It’s time to take matters into our own hands. In this discussion, Angela Rye called on the justice league of Black Women commentators—

Joy Reid,
Amanda Seales,
Jemele Hill,
Sunny Hostin,
Tiffany Cross,
Errin Haines,
Brittany Packnett Cunningham

to help America understand the politics and racial disparities associated with corona virus.

^^I kind of just stumbled upon it and couldn't stop watching/listening. Really good mix of perspectives and I'd enjoy seeing the same group tackle other topics, for example as a weekly web or cable series.

It's about 1.5h long and just a gently mediated talk - centered on black American experiences - about community-specific risks, impacts, and possible strategies to deal with the pandemic. They touch on lots of angles including (but not limited to):

-thinking about how to message risk communications to get people to care and galvanize across different black experiences;

-commentary about the ingenuity/resilience of folks creating makeshift PPE in the face of shortages/lacking access, and also the racial profiling layer with respect to higher risk of targeting by LE when wearing PPE and/or having to venture to wealthier neighborhoods just to find essentials in the first place;

-barriers to accessing stimulus assistance like owing back child support, lower rate of homeownership (where Sunny speaks from a legal perspective just how unprotected renters are), having a small biz but not employing enough staff by a certain time to qualify for help with payroll, having priors, etc;

-larger proportion of single-parent homes (the parents, aunts/uncles, grandparents of which are the higher risk black folk with chronic conditions leaving kids behind with less caregivers);

And one part I found the most interesting, Sunny summarizes some chatter happening in (black) legal circles laying out what she believes could take the form of a class action, centered on the disproportionate impact that negligent decision-making, failure to test, failure to treat, etc is inflicting on black families during the crisis.

Will cross-post in the anchored thread too.
13378325, wasn't expecting a Rizza Islam link in here LOL
Posted by Amritsar, Tue Apr-14-20 09:32 AM
you know whats really important now more than ever?

Teaching kids to evaluate and analyze sources. holy shit
13378334, Don't listen to 1 word Rizza says in the link
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Tue Apr-14-20 09:56 AM
It's about the first 50 seconds of the video.
I've stated that at least 3 times.

>you know whats really important now more than ever?
>
>
>Teaching kids to evaluate and analyze sources. holy shit

What's more important than that is recognizing valuable information even if the source is sometimes faulty. THAT takes situational intelligence and not the robotic thinking you're practicing right now.

Even in the NY Post link, there's a clip from C-Span of Dr. Birx speaking, but Reeq couldn't get past the NY Post enough to realize I'm not saying what they're saying. You don't have to be as dense as he is. Be better.