Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectWhy are you so worried about the "general public" ?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13377351&mesg_id=13379142
13379142, Why are you so worried about the "general public" ?
Posted by Brew, Fri Apr-17-20 09:33 AM
>and wonder why anyone thought they were on the same level as
>dr dre.

Assuming that's true, who cares ?

>dre going up against anybody but commercially era defining
>producers like timbaland, diddy, etc would be a yawner to the
>large majority of the audience. they just simply dont have
>the mainstream catalog or public profile to complete (rza
>*might* be acceptable).

Again, assuming that's even true, who cares ? They aren't making money of off this. This is just for fun. Yes, they're playing their "hits" but I think the Preem/RZA battle showed that "hits" isn't the only criteria. There can be certain matchups for hip hop heads. Doesn't need to be one size fits all. Nearly 200k people tuned in to that battle and I bet 80% of them didn't know 80% of the beats Preem played, and probably 60% of the beats RZA played. But they stuck around.

It's not like these producers need exposure to new audiences. They're doing this for fun to kill time during a quarantine. If a few "general public" folks log off or don't understand a matchup, or don't remember/know a few of the beats, who cares ?

>virtually the entire nwa catalog was just loops and break
>beats. thats what hip hop was. why is that a knock against
>diddy but not anybody else?

Because I don't think Puff actually *did* anything in the studio from a musical standpoint. I'm open to being proven wrong, I just don't consider him an actual music producer.

And even if you want to toss all that bias aside, re: the battle itself I just don't have any interest in hearing, like, "Let Me Ride" vs. "I'll Be Missin' You". It just seems like a forced matchup to me based solely on the fact that they both had unprecedented commercial success. Musically they have little else in common IMO.