Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectGood question. But, no, I don't think so...I think hits = more people
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13377351&mesg_id=13378177
13378177, Good question. But, no, I don't think so...I think hits = more people
Posted by kfine, Mon Apr-13-20 02:51 PM
can recognize/react/enjoy a given track.

Like I could see how some might interpret "hits" (or even the term I've been using a lot in the post "crossover") to mean something along the lines of "approved by white audiences".. but I personally just mean songs with the biggest and/or most diverse fan base (which may be different than what Chernic means, even tho I agree with what she's been saying on this).

For example, during the battle - I think after RZA dropped Shimmy Shimmy Ya - Prem talked about how crazy the *global* response is to that track when playing shows overseas. He described playing massive festivals/venues, perhaps in countries that aren't even english-speaking, and that song comes on and they go NUTS rapping along word-for-word.

*That's* the sort of thing I was thinking about when I was comparing big tracks. Like, I said in a different reply that I called All I Need v. 10 Crack Commandments a draw but might've given it to RZA had it been Shimmy Shimmy Ya. Imho, All I Need and 10 Crack are both iconic huge tracks (and All I Need is grammy-award winning) but Shimmy Shimmy Ya, by Prem's own admission, gets entire stadiums of fans in Europe or Asia rapping along. That's like a cult following stronger by an order of magnitude lol. I'm not sure All I Need has that kind of juice. And I'm sure multiple Biggie tracks have it (Juicy? Hypnotize?) but maybe not 10 Crack.

edit: so basically, All I Need v. 10 Crack might be a draw, Shimmy Ya v. 10 Crack might go to Shimmy, but Shimmy Ya v. Juicy is going to Juicy. And if it was a Wu v. Biggie battle, I think it'd be criminal to exclude ANY of those tracks lol