Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectIm good it's the people around me I am worried about.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13375932&mesg_id=13376007
13376007, Im good it's the people around me I am worried about.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Wed Apr-01-20 09:44 AM
I started therapy a couple of years ago and it's taken me this long to see the positive impact of it. I am slow to anger, I think about the long term consequences of anything I do, I am aware when I am acting out and look for root causes of problems and I have an awareness of how external temporary forces are affecting my moods. I entered this home quarantine with a sense of peace and have good strategies with dealing with the difficulties that are being thrown at us.

My brother on the other hand I worry is at the breaking point. Young kids, strained marriage exacerbated with his wife being on the front lines of the pandemic. He was never great at handling stressful situations and now he is entering the most stressful circumstances of his life. He has called me a couple of times at the breaking point. I have convinced him to do tela therapy and I hope it sticks. I know it took weeks for in person sessions for me to make an impact and I hope he has the time and energy to make it work.

I have also seen so many friends who don't seem to like their wife and kids. Like if you ask people on the street what makes them happy and everyone knows they are suppose to say "my family", but during this time that doesn't seem to be the case. I was out in that wilderness for some time so I can't judge, but I have turned a corner where there really isn't thing that makes me happier than SPENDING TIME with my family. It helps my kids are older and I am not changing diapers and what not, but it's a good place to be when we are up under the same tiny roof 24/7.

It's tough. I probably would have been in a bad place if this happened a year or two ago. Seeing that there is an other side in which therapy helped me reach (and maybe can help others reach) wants me to encourage other people to seek help. This too shall pass and there are folks who can help you see that.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"