Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectThat’s dangerously close to not social distancing.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13374889&mesg_id=13374895
13374895, That’s dangerously close to not social distancing.
Posted by rob, Tue Mar-24-20 10:32 PM
That’s why we’re going to be in this for the long haul - If you’re doing a homeschool group to share resources - great - but kids shuffling between homes? That’s a viral hub and it would be hard to take precautions.

I’m a upper elem teacher and I’ve discussed some of these options with parents. I think my options if we’re a wash past summer is either to go all in and become an extended family with someone that will need lots of help or to go the other direction and find a job in edtech. I really don’t think edtech alone is the future (and I’m scared that big tech and people like Betsy D might make a push for that.

We’re doing online with modifications (lots of texts and calls and FaceTimes) and I do think 9-10 year olds and up can handle it. A third of my class still needs help from adults but most have been very proactive about sending me pms or asking to video chat when they can’t figure out what I want them to do. We’re doing 30-45 mins of work online that they also have an option to do in the textbook, class discussions in chat/video/message board, reading a novel, and lots of Project Based learning where I give them choices and they send me a video of what they did or a report when they’re done.

I’ve worked with high school and college students and other than the expertise gaps (my kids right now are learning allllll about google apps) the adolescents seem just as capable. On average they work harder. Some are motivated by the freedom they have for the first time and like being to work at their own pace. Some that don’t speak up in class are participating more now because they are less worried about taking risks in front of other kids.

Obviously that’s a rosy/optimistic picture and there are soo many families that don’t have the resources to make that work, and we need financial support for caregivers, and we’re dealing with a mess in terms of kids that need services and IEPs.

I’d reaaaaaally prefer real school. We miss each other. I’m used to giving and receiving nonverbal cues and creating an environment. My 3D printers and legos are not being used. My children’s books are harder to access. My plants and class pets have been distributed to homes.

But I think making things like that work is preferable.